Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Ying Chun Guo <gu...@cn.ibm.com> on 2018/03/30 14:29:39 UTC

Who has the experiences to assemble NOTICE file?

Hi, friends

I'd like to learn from people who has the experience to assemble the legal NOTICE file before. I need to do this for Apache OpenWhisk repos. I find manually assembling NOTICE is a complex and error-prone task especially for a non-legal person like me. Is there a tool to help on that ? Does anyone share any experiences on that?

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Re: Who has the experiences to assemble NOTICE file?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I guess you have read [1]? But basically you should do this:

- Take the boilerplate NOTICE [2]
- Update the year to the current year
- Did your code come in via a software grant, then add that (relocated copyrights).[3]
- Is there any 3rd party code contained / bundleded inside the release? If so:
	- Is any of the code Apache licensed and do they have a  NOTICE files?  If so:
		- Pplace relevant parts of those NOTICE to your NOTICE file. [4]

(There's also required notices but they are very rare [5] and you probably don’t need to worry about them).

Things to watch out for:
- License information should not be mentioned in NOTICE (that information goes in license)
- Software dependencies should not be mentioned in NOTICE
- Copyrights from licenses generally do not go in NOTICE.

Take care if you copy one of the more “popular" TLP projects and use that, as some are poor examples or are confusing as they have had issues with upstream project NOTICE files.

This worked  example may also help [6][7] as may this talk [8] I gave the last ApacheCon.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. https://www.apache.org/licenses/NOTICE-2.0.txt
3. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep
5. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
6. https://github.com/justinmclean/ApacheWombat
7. https://vimeo.com/171210141
8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-lp1t9ee0

Re: Who has the experiences to assemble NOTICE file?

Posted by Ying Chun Guo <gu...@cn.ibm.com>.
Thank you for the detail guidance, Justin

I don't quite understand the differences between "3rd party code contained /
bundleded inside the release" and "Software dependencies".

Do you think the NOTICE file from Spark project is a good example? I think
it declares dependencies which are not Apache license. It also append NOTICE
files of dependencies which are Apache License.

Also, Spark NOTICE also includes Copyrights information for those dependencies
with Apache License, copied from NOTICE files. Is that conflict with what you said:
Copyrights from licenses generally do not go in NOTICE.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

[1] https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/NOTICE

(sorry forgot to copy the dev list - so resending)

1. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.apache.org_dev_licensing-2Dhowto.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=zqnvtIGA5h-10VHgNcAosG8SMrvSBz47Ar2rGiOGIZ8&e=
2. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.apache.org_licenses_NOTICE-2D2.0.txt&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=Yyws7S_pGLGCR-VEleMx_BhECQtv1zNlKiLDgHa7SQM&e=
3. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.apache.org_legal_src-2Dheaders.html-23headers&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=3cweg-kgAb_yx0gSZkqL7XxeC6eWzewUHxBFedbz0pw&e=
4. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.apache.org_dev_licensing-2Dhowto.html-23alv2-2Ddep&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=0m8FbuGPyOmuxSZbVxic92HRh6LqlpmLpjJ7yxXXMGg&e=
5. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.apache.org_legal_resolved.html-23required-2Dthird-2Dparty-2Dnotices&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=8TeWIsT_iU8M1m7LyG2kCg2Op4WnhJ7LxFroREHMe5Q&e=
6. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_justinmclean_ApacheWombat&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=2lV6_4aFQSu0k_XHxUqOal8L5GS1VnyYUyZ1lzvItUU&e=
7. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vimeo.com_171210141&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=y0L7rJWPhsyeYtPNMM11ckG5iwxI0kCQzGo8BkydRlQ&e=
8. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DI0-2Dlp1t9ee0&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=V_NQebMEsahq0wRsMMLN8VHG-pcqPRpdHygvo4rmK4o&m=6SABlaLAYkaOvZYVgXkEN3r9D7US0VqcW_oXdWsVwUo&s=XmDvbxyMhE8xCrcRs0-FtaD9Xk_-K2iqgGgiDSx4buE&e=

Re: Who has the experiences to assemble NOTICE file?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Writing code is error prone too.  Just like code, make a good effort, let
the code reviewers catch things, make more changes, review it again.

The key thing is to do the work and get the reviews in a timely fashion
instead of at release vote time.  No big deal if you miss something.
That's why there are reviewers and at least 2 other people have to ok it.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Here are the link about the apache-resource-bundles[1] that you may use as
well.

[1]https://maven.apache.org/apache-resource-bundles/index.html

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)