Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Chandan Goel <cg...@sapient.com> on 2018/03/24 12:38:24 UTC

Cassandra certification

Hi,

Is the professional certification on Cassandra given by Datastax recognized ?
Oreilly has stopped giving any certifications , it seems. Is there any other authority giving away certifications on Cassandra post clearing exam which is better than datastax? Or Datastax is sufficiently good , any idea anyone ?

Thanks
Chandan

Disclaimer The information in this email and any attachments may contain proprietary and confidential information that is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. When addressed to our clients or vendors, any information contained in this e-mail or any attachments is subject to the terms and conditions in any governing contract. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately contact the sender and delete the e-mail.

RE: Cassandra certification

Posted by Ali Hubail <Al...@petrolink.com>.
It certainly depends on the corporation. I've seen some that value
certificates, and some others that do not bother with them at all. It also
depends on the certificate as well. Companies don't care that much about
Oracle Java Certifications, but they tend to take SAP certificates more
seriously.

As for DataStax certificates, I find that taking them do not hurt (maybe
your pocket though). The exam covers a wide range of topics, and their
online courses are probably the best entry point to c*
DataStax is well recognized in the community. Regardless of the past
differences between Apache Cassandra and DataStax, DataStax Enterprise is
to Apache Cassandra as RedHat Enterprise Linux (REHL) to Linux.

Tupshin, from DataStax, about 2 years ago mentioned "multiple vendors that
had booths at the show made comments amounting to "we'd love to hire
anybody that passes"
https://www.reddit.com/r/cassandra/comments/3ztbn3/any_thoughtscomments_on_the_datastax_cassandra/

I personally won't judge anyone for not having a DS certificate in an
interview. I think the experience is what I am looking for, but having the
certificate at least says that you've been validated by someone else.
That's only for entry point positions. But for senior positions, I doubt
people look into such certificates. Experience is what matters. If we
could afford hiring some of the folks in dev@cassandra.apache.org, the
last thing we would care about is certificates. I am pretty sure some
(probably most) of them  are not "certified" but their experience and
contribution to the community is the black belt people look for.
Again, DS certificates don't hurt, a good starting point, and well
recognized. See if your company is willing to pay the fees, though

Ali Hubail

Confidentiality warning: This message and any attachments are intended
only for the persons to whom this message is addressed, are confidential,
and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy,
copying, modification, circulation or other use of this message and any
attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Petrolink International
Limited its subsidiaries, holding companies and affiliates disclaims all
responsibility from and accepts no liability whatsoever for the
consequences of any unauthorized person acting, or refraining from acting,
on any information contained in this message. For security purposes, staff
training, to assist in resolving complaints and to improve our customer
service, email communications may be monitored and telephone calls may be
recorded.

Chandan Goel <cg...@sapient.com>
03/28/2018 09:50 AM
Please respond to
user@cassandra.apache.org

"user@cassandra.apache.org" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>,
cc

Subject
RE: Cassandra certification

Thanks for the answer Rahul.

I actually wanted to know that if there is any other certification
authority better than Datastax ? or is it the only one as of now ?

Recognized where? If someone has a Java certification and goes to a .NET
shop that certificate means nothing. Same goes with a DataStax
“certificate.” It’s a starting ground — can get you in the door at places
that uses the technology but doesn’t substitute for experience. Both are
important.

--
Rahul Singh
rahul.singh@anant.us