Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by taha siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/14 14:14:19 UTC

Why are we top-posting...

Hi,

The story goes like this...

Once I was brave enough to take on linux-kernal programming and joined
a mailing list. My first post brought me a link which was not an
answer to
my question but an advice and today I feel we all need to look at it

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Every time I try to read an archived mail to solve my problem I have
to scroll the page up and down... Why don't we bottom-post to make our
mails more readable and future proof

HUMBLE REQUEST
taha

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
I always top post, and it's how I hope to see replies.
I want the response at the top because it the most relevant
information for the thread... if I should need to get some background
or context I can see it in descending order and only read back as far
as I want.

Although I've seen the top/bottom posting argument before, there is
nothing I hate more than having to scroll to the bottom of a message
(or search a long thread) to read it (I often don't even bother).

Also, don't forget that the technology and usage has changed over the
years and most of us are simply reading the list in standard mail apps
or online, where a top posting is IMO easier to see. i.e. this is not
Usenet after all with special readers.

So, although I hear you, I very much doubt that your going to get me
to "bottom-post" and if you want to, then go ahead... but I reserve
the right not to bother scrolling through your threads to find the
content you want to convey. Nothing personal, I'm just lazy :)

- Brill

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Adriano dos Santos Fernandes <ad...@gmail.com>.
Brill Pappin wrote:
> But you didn't bottom post, you interleaved the post... which IMO was
> useful for this message.
Yeah, but top posting breaks bottom posting and interleaved posting when
you want to comment questions and replies.

Anyway, it's an identical subject as religion, coding style, soccer
teams and many others. So no need to start a flame war. :-)

Adriano

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Adriano dos Santos Fernandes <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
In my experience, top vs bottom vs interleaved posting is dependent on the
community.  I searched my gmail archives which have the list back through
around 2006 and found only four threads where someone mentioned top posting
- and most of them had no response.

In my opinion, I appreciate top posting - I read most of my Wicket emails on
my phone.  And scrolling down through long lists on my phone is a pain.
Most of the core committers use gmail - as I do - and there, too, I like top
posting.  I have the whole thread if I need to look back - so just get to
the point at the beginning of the message.

Anyway - the only rule this community typically has with posting is: at
least try to do your research before posting - this is a high-volume list,
and we ask people to search the archives.  Other than that, it's whatever
makes you happy.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

RE: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Fatih Mehmet UCAR <fm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Anton Veretennikov <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Thomas Mäder <th...@devotek-it.ch>.
Nazis!

And now that this thread is dead, we can all go and enjoy our lives ;-)

Thomas

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 6:50 AM, taha siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now you all get a gun and shoot me :)
>
> I got your point....
>
> How many times ............................
>
> No No No .............. Enough ....................
>
> This is a declaration ....................
>
> I, TAHA, WILL NEVER SAY THAT TOP POSTING IS BAD OR BOTTOM POSTING IS
> GOOD....
>
> CLOSE THIS POST... PLEASE .........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> taha
> (internally still a bottom-poster by heart)
>

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Stephen Swinsburg
> <s....@lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> > You read text from bottom to top?
> >
> > I thought this was dead and buried, people can post however they like and
> we
> > are not going to conform to someone's 'standard'. Think of it this way,
> it's
> > a mailing list where people write and read emails. How do you read and
> write
> > your email? Pretty sure you'd hit a quick 'Reply' and type your message
> at
> > the top like 99% of the rest of the world? Why change it for a mailing
> list?
> > It's not designed so that one final post has every piece of information
> in
> > it, that is what threads are for. What if someone erases part of the
> email
> > when they reply? You'd be stuffed then!
> >

> > On 21/03/2009, at 5:50 AM, C. Bergström wrote:
> >
> >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> >> Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
> >> A: Top-posting.
> >> Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Wicket & Eclipse Consulting
www.devotek-it.ch
thomasmaeder.blogspot.com

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by taha siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Stephen Swinsburg <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by taha siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
I have my arguments but it is your mailing list, so I have to abide by
the rules besides Martijn is my teacher ( Wicket in Action ) so can't
argue.. :)

Still came to know about 'Advantages of top posting', thanks everyone
for the response

- taha

Re: Why are we top-posting...

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.