Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2006/02/01 18:01:03 UTC

CInclude for module menu items?

Hi Lenya devs,

currently, modules can add menu items to a publication's menu
by providing a menus.xmap. Would it make sense to use a "pull"
mechanism, i.e. using CInclude to insert module-based items in the
publication menu?

<block>
   <ci:include src="cocoon://modules/newsletter/menus/items/send.xml"/>
</block>

<ci:include src="cocoon://modules/newsletter/menus/blocks/admin.xml"/>

Or should we support both options?
Maybe there are even better solutions?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: CInclude for module menu items?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Josias Thoeny wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 18:01 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> currently, modules can add menu items to a publication's menu
>> by providing a menus.xmap. Would it make sense to use a "pull"
>> mechanism, i.e. using CInclude to insert module-based items in the
>> publication menu?

[...]

 > I don't know which way is better, but what I like about the current
 > approach is that I can add a module to publication.xconf and the menus
 > are added to the publication automatically, without any additional
 > configuration.

Me too.

> Where do you see the advantages of the cinclude?
> Probably it gives more control, i.e. you can add a module and decide not
> to include the menu, or only parts of it, if you want.

Yes, and you can use arbitrary positions for the menu items.
This requirement was already mentioned (not sure if on- or off-list).

> Would it turn the menus.xmap of each module unnecessary?
> Or would cocoon://modules/newsletter/menus/blocks/admin.xml still be
> resolved via the menus.xmap?

That has to be decided. It wouldn't be necessary anymore to have
this extra sitemap, because the resource-exists lookup is not needed.
The menu items could be served by module/sitemap.xamp.

-- Andreas

Posted by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com>.
On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 18:01 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> currently, modules can add menu items to a publication's menu
> by providing a menus.xmap. Would it make sense to use a "pull"
> mechanism, i.e. using CInclude to insert module-based items in the
> publication menu?
>

> <block>
>    <ci:include src="cocoon://modules/newsletter/menus/items/send.xml"/>
> </block>
>

> <ci:include src="cocoon://modules/newsletter/menus/blocks/admin.xml"/>
>

> Or should we support both options?
> Maybe there are even better solutions?

I don't know which way is better, but what I like about the current
approach is that I can add a module to publication.xconf and the menus
are added to the publication automatically, without any additional
configuration.

Where do you see the advantages of the cinclude?
Probably it gives more control, i.e. you can add a module and decide not
to include the menu, or only parts of it, if you want.
Would it turn the menus.xmap of each module unnecessary?
Or would cocoon://modules/newsletter/menus/blocks/admin.xml still be
resolved via the menus.xmap?

Josias