Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be> on 2001/09/01 00:25:26 UTC

Re: JDBCContentStore error

Ram Kurapati wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Uploading big files have no problem with FileContentStore. But it fails
> with JDBCContentStore for files sizes above 5kb. Did i missed any bug
> fixes. I am using Slide 1.0.10.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rama

What kind of database are you using?

Dirk

Re: JDBCContentStore error

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Ram Kurapati wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Uploading big files have no problem with FileContentStore. But it fails
> > with JDBCContentStore for files sizes above 5kb. Did i missed any bug
> > fixes. I am using Slide 1.0.10.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rama
>
> What kind of database are you using?

I guess it ultimately depends on how the DB will handle the blobs. For
example, hSQL has a problem with large files (I tried with something a bit
over 3M), and a OutOfMemoryError (with an empty stack trace ...) was thrown
(and was not caught, so I made the exception handling in AbstractStore a lot
more robust).

With some DBs, storing the content is the database will never be an option
(that's why it's important to transactionalize the filesystem store).

I volunteer for doing some work on the stores, including :
- Developing a new JDBC store which would extend the current store and
handle J2EE connection pools (XA or standard). The standard JDBC stores will
remain as the defaults.
- Improving the filesystem content store to support transactions.
- Study the feasability of developing a filesystem descriptors with support
for transactions and versioning.

I plan to have the first two ready for Slide 1.0.15.

Remy