Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/11/09 00:52:31 UTC

Xsltc work status re: external dependencies (esp. BCEL)

This is a reminder to the Xalan developer community, especially the xsltc
folks, that we should work on reducing the checked-in .jar dependencies
that xsltc still needs.

In particular, the BCEL library is being (has been?) submitted to our
sister project jakarta at http://jakarta.apache.org/bcel/index.html - so we
should consider starting to move our build process to reference code or
shipped builds from jakarta instead of the older checked-in .jar file we
have.  Note that when we actually do this work, we need to make sure we
update our project file in Gump as well (embarassed grin).  Also, if
there's any *simple* way we can update the xsltc engine to use the new
xml-apis.jar for common DOM/SAX code (instead of the xml.jar) that would be
great too.

Morten, Scott, et al also have a long-term plan to do nifty sharing of
AST's and other stuff between the xalan core engine and the xsltc engine;
but that is still in planning stages.

- Shane