Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jacob Elder <je...@locamoda.com> on 2009/10/21 17:58:36 UTC

commitWithin question

Our application involves lots of live index updates with mixed priority. A
few updates are very important and need to be in the index promptly, while
we also have a great deal of updates which can be dealt with lazily.

The documentation for the commitWithin leaves some room for interpretation.
Does setting commitWithin=1000 mean that only this update will be committed
within 1s, or that all pending documents will be committed within 1s?

--
Jacob Elder

Re: commitWithin question

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Jacob Elder <je...@locamoda.com> wrote:
> Our application involves lots of live index updates with mixed priority. A
> few updates are very important and need to be in the index promptly, while
> we also have a great deal of updates which can be dealt with lazily.
>
> The documentation for the commitWithin leaves some room for interpretation.
> Does setting commitWithin=1000 mean that only this update will be committed
> within 1s, or that all pending documents will be committed within 1s?

The update that contains the commitWithin=1000 will be committed within 1000ms.
The current implementation will issue a commit in 1s if not other
commit happens first (and thus will commit all other pending documents
at that time)... but I don't think we should guarantee that will
always happen.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com