Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/17 16:58:05 UTC

possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Lets say i change a single line of code, and merge it back to the 3x_branch.

Currently we get 6 or 7 emails of mergeproperty changes to the
commits@ list... this is making it difficult or impossible for
backports to be reviewed at all... I think this is terrible.

How can we get this fixed so that these mergeprop-changes only are
filtered in the emails? Someone could always click the link to viewvc
or whatever if they are interested in this...

Re: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> I find it onerous that one need do a merge for this kind of thing period.  Why not just apply the patch a second time?  Sure, something is lost in SVN, but it's covered elsewhere.  Of course, the flip side is that by not doing it, it becomes all that much harder to merge in the future.

why use version control at all?

by merging, the practical benefit to me is it tracks what has and
hasn't been merged (my ide has a nice interface that lets me quickly
see eligible revs by my username, etc)

but if you just patch and commit twice, it looks to svn from the
mergeinfo that you never merged that change back to branch_3x... if
you are going to do this, then at least mark the revision as merged so
it doesnt mislead people who are using version control.

(separately merging makes life easier to me for anything non-trivial,
a patch wouldn't apply cleanly anyway to both our branches, i'd rather
just resolve the conflicting parts)

Re: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I find it onerous that one need do a merge for this kind of thing
: period.  Why not just apply the patch a second time?  Sure, something is
: lost in SVN, but it's covered elsewhere.  Of course, the flip side is
: that by not doing it, it becomes all that much harder to merge in the
: future.

Exactly -- the amount of work required to apply a one line patch to two
distinct branches is about the same as the amount of work to apply that
patch to trunk and then svn merge it to the branch -- but the impact on
other people who have much more complicated merges is huge.  when you use
svn merge, you make all of those future (big) merges much simpler to deal
with -- but every time you apply a patch directly to both branches and
commit individually, you introduce a conflict that has to be resolved
manually by every person who ever tries an svn merge on that file in the
future.

-Hoss

Re: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Oct 17, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

> Lets say i change a single line of code, and merge it back to the 3x_branch.
>
> Currently we get 6 or 7 emails of mergeproperty changes to the
> commits@ list... this is making it difficult or impossible for
> backports to be reviewed at all... I think this is terrible.

I find it onerous that one need do a merge for this kind of thing period.  Why not just apply the patch a second time?  Sure, something is lost in SVN, but it's covered elsewhere.  Of course, the flip side is that by not doing it, it becomes all that much harder to merge in the future.

-Grant

RE: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> (I am allowed to see it).

I mean: (if I am allowed to see it.)

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Upayavira,

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
No. Once the files have a property they have it irreversible. This is why
single-file merges are a no-go.

-----
Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hoss, you and I should see if we can wrangle some of the SVN guys at ApacheCon and see if we can get this stuff straightened out.

--------------------------

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> Couldn't 3.x move contrib/analysis to modules?  We could just move it to contrib as part of the release packaging  if the goal is to be consistent, but otherwise who cares where it is located?
>
> Would that reduce some of this?

I don't think it would help so much, because the analyzers in modules
did not come just from contrib/analyzers... but from lucene's core
(individual files cherrypicked, things like TokenStream still stay),
contrib/icu, and from Solr (the factories stay at the moment though).

thats just what i mean though, if we will make lucene more modular i
think this is just a very typical case of consolidating things from
different places in lucene/solr and modularizing it, so thats why I
think a lot of it is unavoidable.

Uwe says single-file merges are a no-go, but (hypothetically) if we
moved just the concrete Queries from o.a.l.search (but not everything
else!), and the Queries in contrib/queries into a modules/queries,
then you would end up with the same situation... if you fix a bug in
modules/queries/TermQuery you have to merge the individual file in
3.x's src/java because the entire o.a.l.search did not move, only a
few cherrypicked files (the queries).

Re: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> I will go take a look at it, but as far as I could tell, I merged at the top level, but maybe IntelliJ does individual file merges and I wasn't aware of it (I believe I said merge trunk to branch_3x and then picked which revisions I wanted to apply).  Perhaps we should put together some examples in Lucene's context that would give Lucene developers a deeper understanding.

It's not just you... it's any of us in the past who merged singleton
files (I'm pretty sure I did so before I understood this "must merge
from root" mantra).

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Grant,

The individual merges are there since long time. And the additional ones
came in later. As I said before (answer to first mail on this thread): The
problem is that once a file gets a separate merge property not inherited
from its parent folder, this merge prop must be updated on every later
merge. So whenever you merge a file separately you create one more problem
:-)

Some merges in trunk cannot be done completely top-level, but if they are
always done in the same way, the number of files/subdirs with separate
mergeprops is limited. One problem is the new modules folder as the analysis
folder in it must be merged to contrib. Also the moved tokenstreams and
analyzers. But all other touched files are results of one-file merges.

Uwe

-----
Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: FWIW, I get the sense that a lot of other projects deal with merges.  What do they do?

I suspect they do merges properly and avoid this problem entirely.

Bottom Line: if *all* merges happen at the top level, then this problem
won't exist -- mergeinfo props get added to individual files only when
individual file merges take place, or with merges from mixed working
revisions.  Once a file gets those merge props, all future merges
in that tree interact with those individual file props even if the merge
has nothing to do with those files...

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.finalword

-Hoss

Re: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Oct 19, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Upayavira wrote:

> FWIW, the commit notices are just an SVN post-commit hook that uses the
> svn-mailer tool [http://opensource.perlig.de/svnmailer/]. I believe
> Grant has commit rights to that file - it is in the infra SVN right next
> to the old asf-auth file.

Yes, I do, but it isn't clear if this is something that could be handled through simple routing.  I suppose one thing we could do is filter it through a dummy GMail account somehow.  Send all commits to the GMail group and then have it send a digest email a few times a day to commits@l.a.o.  It's ugly, but it might work.

--------------------------

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Oct 18, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> Not yet decided/investigated, this was more a question to infra, if it would
> be possible to set this up. :-) I have to check a config from an SVN server
> that supports merging. Where are the Apach config files for SVN? Can I view
> them?

I think you will need to go through infra for the config, as even I don't have that.  I don't believe there is a public URL (or even PMC level)

> Else, I agree with Robert: I also want to track all merges!

I agree.  It was just a bit of a shocker for me the first time I did it and I see like 30 files changed when I only changed one file.  Once you get used to it, though, not so bad and the IDE definitely helps.

RE: possible to filter the output to commits@ list????

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I cc'ed my previous eMail also to the infra@ao list. In general, if we cannot filter we could think about the following:

- remove all mergepros recursively for trunk, but we would lose history for merges.
- Alternatively merge all mergeprops up to the root folder and remove it from the separate files/subfolders. This would lose some changes, but if all are merged up, that’s fine (only some files may appear as merged from different branch, although they aren't).

In general when merging to reduce the amount of mergeprops:
- Don't merge single files or subdirectories! Always merge the top folder! Excluded from this is trunk/modules, as this needs a separate, merging step between trunk/3x. So a merge would then only add mergeprops to root folder and modules/contrib (in branch).

This is the explanation for the behavior:
SVN needs to add the mergeprops to all single files that *already* contain mergeprops on each merge (SVN is not able to only store "diffs" in per file props). This is the reason why we have so many mergeprops at single files that every time gets updated: Once a file has a merge property, it does no longer inherit it from the parent folder. Whenever you merge something, the new rev numbers get added to the parent folder, as expected; but as this single file also have mergeprops and those are not differential/separate to parent, the merge prop of this single file also needs to be updated. This leads to the large modification email. We cannot change that anymore, so by reducing the number of single-file merges, we can stop this behavior from getting worse. To get rid of it completely and start new, see above.

Uwe
-----