Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jeff House <ho...@flowroute.com> on 2013/07/04 00:58:09 UTC

Ranged Tombstones causing timeouts, not removed during compaction. How to remove?

We are on 1.2.5 with a 4 node cluster (RF 3) and have a cql3 wide row
table. each row has about 2000 columns.   While running some test data
through it, it started throwing rpc_timeout errors when returning a couple
specific rows (with Consistency ONE).

After hunting through sstable2json results and looking at the source for
it, it looks like these are Ranged Tombstones.  I see there's a bug filed
(and a patch) for this, but is there a way to clear out the tombstones?   I
have 'nodetool cleanup'ed, 'nodetool repair'ed and 'nodetool scrub'bed the
table, but they just seem to linger as does the problem reading the rows in
question.

Is there a way I can clear this data out and move forward?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Re: Ranged Tombstones causing timeouts, not removed during compaction. How to remove?

Posted by Jeff House <ho...@flowroute.com>.
Thanks Jeremiah, those are great suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have done a full repair and compaction on that CF, but the
ranged tombstones remain.

-Jeff

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Jeremiah D Jordan <jeremiah.jordan@gmail.com

Posted by Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.