Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by migar <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/19 19:06:45 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.x Specify JVM Memory Options using Tomcat5 on Windows

Hi -

I am trying to configure the JVM options used for Tomcat 5.5.4 on
Windows 2000.  I've seen a few scattered posts about how to do this
using by entering keys in the registry for Tomcat, however I've been
unable to find anything with sufficient documentation and haven't been
successful with this.

I am upgrading from Tomcat 4.1 where I was comfortable editing the
catalina.bat/sh scripts to specify the JAVA_OPTS passed to the JVM,
however with 5.5 (at least in a windows install), this option for
starting Tomcat is gone and it can only be started via Tomcat5.exe.
That's fine, except I haven't been successful in using the windows
service GUI to configure the --JvmOptions parameter designated for this
purpose - either in starting Tomcat or in modifying registry keys via
this mechanism.  It may be that I'm using the incorrect syntax, so if
this looks wrong to someone, I'd really appreciate a correction:

--JvmOptions=-Xms64m#-Xmx128m#-XX:NewRatio=5#-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=95#-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=40#-Xloggc:C:\Server\Tomcat5.5\logs\gclog.txt#-XX:+PrintGCDetails

Also, if anyone is aware of a different mechanism to tweak these JVM
parameters when starting tomcat (similar to modifying the
catalina.bat/sh scripts) with 5.5, I'd be interested to hear about that
as well.  Or more documentation or examples....

Thanks for the help with this!