Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Bryan Albright <br...@darth-vader.org> on 2005/10/21 18:12:03 UTC

Static Site generation question...

How long does it normally take to build a static site?

I've just installed the "apache-forrest-0.7" package on a FreeBSD
5.4-STABLE machine.

I've had a "forrest site" running for over an hour, and it seems to
hang just after the [5/26] ... index.pdf line.

Here's what I've done to try to get it working:
% mkdir tmp
% cd tmp
% forrest seed
% forrest run &
% forrest site

The only error (I think) I'm getting is:
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack location

and  here's the output of my forrest site command ("# " added by me to
delineate the output of the command and my typing):

# Apache Forrest.  Run 'forrest -projecthelp' to list options
#
# Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
# location
# Buildfile: /usr/local/share/apache-forrest/main/forrest.build.xml
#
# check-java-version:
# This is apache-forrest-0.7
# Using Java 1.4 from /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/jre
#
# init-props:
#
# echo-settings:
#
# check-skin:
#
# init-proxy:
#
# fetch-skins-descriptors:
#
# fetch-skin:
#
# unpack-skins:
#
# init-skins:
#
# init-plugins:
# Copying 1 file to /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp
# Copying 1 file to /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp
# Copying 1 file to /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp
# Copying 1 file to /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp
# Installing plugin: org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf
#
# check-plugin:
# org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf is available in the build dir
#
# init-props:
#
# echo-settings:
#
# init-proxy:
#
# fetch-plugins-descriptors:
#
# fetch-plugin:
#
# unpack-plugin:
#
# install-plugin:
#
# configure-plugin:
#
# configure-output-plugin:
# Mounting output plugin: org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf
# Processing /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp/output.xmap to
# /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp/output.xmap.new
# /usr/local/share/apache-forrest/main/var/pluginMountSnippet.xsl
# Moving 1 files to /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp
#
# init:
#
# -prepare-classpath:
#
# check-contentdir:
#
# examine-proj:
#
# validation-props:
#
# validate-xdocs:
# 14 file(s) have been successfully validated.
# ...validated xdocs
#
# validate-skinconf:
# 1 file(s) have been successfully validated.
# ...validated skinconf
#
# validate-sitemap:
# ...validated project sitemap
#
# validate-skins-stylesheets:
# validate-skins:
#
# validate-skinchoice:
# ...validated existence of skin 'pelt'
#
# validate-stylesheets:
#
# validate:
#
# site:
# Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
# location
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# cocoon 2.2.0-dev
# Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Apache Software Foundation. All rights
# reserved.
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#
# Lazy mode: true
#
# Copying the various non-generated resources to site.
# Warnings will be issued if the optional project resources are not
# found.
# This is often the case, because they are optional and so may not be
# available.
# Copying project resources and images to site ...
# Warning: /home/bryana/tmp/build/webapp/resources not found.
# Copying 1 file to /home/bryana/tmp/build/site
# Copying main skin images to site ...
# Created dir: /home/bryana/tmp/build/site/skin/images
# Copying 23 files to /home/bryana/tmp/build/site/skin/images
# Copying 14 files to /home/bryana/tmp/build/site/skin/images
# Copying project skin images to site ...
# Warning: /home/bryana/tmp/src/documentation/skins/common/images not
# found.
# Warning: /home/bryana/tmp/src/documentation/skins/pelt/images not
# found.
# Copying main skin css and js files to site ...
# Copying 12 files to /home/bryana/tmp/build/site/skin
# Copied 4 empty directories to 3 empty directories under
# /home/bryana/tmp/build/site/skin
# Copying 6 files to /home/bryana/tmp/build/site/skin
# Copying project skin css and js files to site ...
# Warning: /home/bryana/tmp/src/documentation/skins/common not found.
# Warning: /home/bryana/tmp/src/documentation/skins/pelt not found.
# Finished copying the non-generated resources.
# Now Cocoon will generate the rest ...
#
# Static site will be generated at:
# /home/bryana/tmp/build/site
#
# Note that there are various reasons for "build failed" messages.
# * Cocoon will report the status of each document:
#   - in column 1: *=okay X=brokenLink ^=pageSkipped (see FAQ).
# * Even if only one link is broken, you will still get "failed".
# * Your site would still be generated, but some pages would be
# * broken.
# * Please check the file:
# /home/bryana/tmp/build/tmp/brokenlinks.xml
# for any broken links in the generated site.
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# ^                                    samples/
# ^                                    samples/subdir/
# ^                                    pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/
# * [1/26]    [26/29]   6.768s 8.5Kb   linkmap.html
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# * [2/25]    [0/0]     0.438s 2.4Kb   skin/basic.css
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# Lazy mode: true
# ^                                    pluginDocs/plugins_0_70/
# * [3/28]    [4/30]    1.972s 7.6Kb   index.html
# * [4/27]    [0/0]     3.272s 3.6Kb   linkmap.pdf
# * [5/26]    [0/0]     0.491s 4.8Kb   index.pdf
# Lazy mode: true

And this is where it hangs for at least an hour.

What's going on?  What else can I give to help troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Bryan

--
Forget the fat lady! You're obsessed with the fat lady! Just drive us
out of here!                                 -David Levinson

Re: Static Site generation question... SOLVED!

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Bryan Albright wrote:
> On a hunch, took a look at my java installation...
>
> I had the linux emulation of JDK 1.4.2 installed, but not the native
> FreeBSD JDK.
>
> I spent the last 2.5 hours installing that, and wiz-bang-boom, the
> forrest installation completed in 30 seconds.

Thanks for the update. That's abother one for us to remember.

Ross

Re: Static Site generation question... SOLVED!

Posted by Bryan Albright <br...@darth-vader.org>.
On a hunch, took a look at my java installation...

I had the linux emulation of JDK 1.4.2 installed, but not the native
FreeBSD JDK.

I spent the last 2.5 hours installing that, and wiz-bang-boom, the
forrest installation completed in 30 seconds.

Special thanks to Ross for jumping in and keeping me going.

Bryan

--
More Hay, Trigger? "No Thanks, Roy, I'm Stuffed!"

Re: Static Site generation question...

Posted by Bryan Albright <br...@darth-vader.org>.
Ross--

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.