Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ken Bowen <kb...@als.com> on 2007/10/26 20:35:31 UTC

Cookies

Hi All,

There are sites that I frequent which I believe to be powered by java
servlets,
and which seem to recognize me immediately when I first connect after
an absence ("Welcome back, Ken").  So is it the case that if browser B has
previously set a cookie at site S (at url uuu), then when B returns to uuu
(say after many days but before the cookie for uuu has expired), B sends
the cookies for uuu in the /first/ request?

Thanks,
Ken

RE: Cookies

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Ken Bowen [mailto:kbowen@als.com]
> Subject: Cookies
>
> So is it the case that if browser B has previously set a
> cookie at site S (at url uuu), then when B returns to uuu
> (say after many days but before the cookie for uuu has
> expired), B sends the cookies for uuu in the /first/ request?

That's the whole idea.  To quote from RFC 2965:

3.3.4  Sending Cookies to the Origin Server

   When it sends a request to an origin server, the user agent
   includes a Cookie request header if it has stored cookies
   that are applicable to the request, based on
      * the request-host and request-port;
      * the request-URI;
      * the cookie's age.

 - Chuck