Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> on 2013/11/23 14:03:02 UTC

"ab" and SNI

Hi

is there something wrong with these patches or why does "ab" not send SNI headers?
https://blogs.oracle.com/meena/entry/apachebench_ab_and_sni

for each https-request fro "ab" the target servers floods one line into log

[Sat Nov 23 14:00:33.592232 2013] [ssl:error] [pid 28314] AH02033: No hostname was provided via SNI for a name
based virtual host
[Sat Nov 23 14:00:33.594877 2013] [ssl:error] [pid 27315] AH02033: No hostname was provided via SNI for a name
based virtual host
[Sat Nov 23 14:00:33.598552 2013] [ssl:error] [pid 27317] AH02033: No hostname was provided via SNI for a name
based virtual host

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 23.11.2013 16:48, schrieb Jeff Trawick:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net
>
>     Am 23.11.2013 16:13, schrieb Eric Covener:
>     > I don't think this list is appropriate for this issue.
>
>     then state it without cynicism and disrespect
>
>     > Further, I think your emails in this thread are flippant
>
>     there is nothing flippant in asking questions
>
>     > and demeaning to the volunteers here
>
>     maybe consider not assume bad intentions from everybody
>     which is not a reputable core-maintainer
>
>     > I personally de-prioritize thinking about issues framed in this way
>
>     what is "this way"?
>
>     maybe assume that non-native speakers phrase things different
>     without any bad intention
>
>     > I should also add that I see a pattern here, in case my response seems
>     > disproportionate
>
>     explain what you believe that you see instead throw fog candles hence
>
>     if that is the attitude of the http-devel list i should unsubscribe here
>     after mod_security works fine with Apache 2.4 behind a reverse-proxy
>     since I (as stupid user which should be quite - that is how your attitude
>     sounds like) spent my energy at the begin of 2013 to find out where the
>     problem is, where it can be solved and you hardly can tell me that no others
>     benefit from the result - the definition of a community is also users and
>     the topic is *not* appropriate for the users-list
>
>     hence if you have a personal problem state it or leave me in peace
>
> My impression from reading your posts is that you are needlessly combative and impatient

combative maybe if someone responds with a "shut up user" attitude

impatient? i asked a question and i am facing this over many months
if i would be impatient i had asked the question long ago

call me impatient would be reasonable if i send daily a "ping"

> at the same time that you have an understandable need for others on the list to
> dedicate time to your queries and reports. This is usually a bad combination.

that is simply not true

a simple answer "noticed, not high priority, but noticed" would have
fnished the whole thread without any need to respond with cynicism
and disrespect

> Talk of unsubscribing or your value to the community is unnecessary

it is unnecessary?
it is the logical consequence of beeing undesirable

> The situation is the same for you as for anyone else:
> If you are softer in your approach then more people will take time to assist

my intention in the inital post was not to be "unsoft" or somehow else bad
that's the simple history of the initial posting

* i found the flood in the logs again
* i called "ab --help", there is nothing about SNI
* i called "man ab", there is no manpage
* i typed https://www.google.at/search?q=ab+benchmark+sni
* i found that there is a solutionwhich is worth to be upstream
  not today, not tomorrow, sooner or later in whatever release

> (Before you respond, realize that it is easier for me or anyone else to simply ignore you than it is to try
> imperfectly to give hints for better interaction.)

appreciated

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>wrote:

> send SNI headers?

> headers and flood logs

> spite
> >>
> >> sorry that i offended you in bringing on-list things i noticed and
> forced
> >> you to throw around cynicism - maybe i better not waste my time to point
> >> out things which could be improved before i learned C++ to apply changes
> >> myself
> >
> > I don't think this list is appropriate for this issue.
>
> then state it without cynicism and disrespect
>
> > Further, I think your emails in this thread are flippant
>
> there is nothing flippant in asking questions
>
> > and demeaning to the volunteers here
>
> maybe consider not assume bad intentions from everybody
> which is not a reputable core-maintainer
>
> > I personally de-prioritize thinking about issues framed in this way
>
> what is "this way"?
>
> maybe assume that non-native speakers phrase things different
> without any bad intention
>
> > I should also add that I see a pattern here, in case my response seems
> > disproportionate
>
> explain what you believe that you see instead throw fog candles hence
>
> if that is the attitude of the http-devel list i should unsubscribe here
> after mod_security works fine with Apache 2.4 behind a reverse-proxy
> since I (as stupid user which should be quite - that is how your attitude
> sounds like) spent my energy at the begin of 2013 to find out where the
> problem is, where it can be solved and you hardly can tell me that no
> others
> benefit from the result - the definition of a community is also users and
> the topic is *not* appropriate for the users-list
>
> hence if you have a personal problem state it or leave me in peace

My impression from reading your posts is that you are needlessly combative
and impatient, at the same time that you have an understandable need for
others on the list to dedicate time to your queries and reports.  This is
usually a bad combination.

Talk of unsubscribing or your value to the community is unnecessary.  The
situation is the same for you as for anyone else:  If you are softer in
your approach then more people will take time to assist.

(Before you respond, realize that it is easier for me or anyone else to
simply ignore you than it is to try imperfectly to give hints for better
interaction.)

Sincerely!

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

>>> you missed what i asked - in fact why there are patches needed
>>> why does "ab -c 100 -n 500000 https://www.test.rh/" not send SNI headers and flood logs
>>
>> The code wrote, built, and tested itself, but we removed it out of spite
>
> sorry that i offended you in bringing on-list things i noticed and forced
> you to throw around cynicism - maybe i better not waste my time to point
> out things which could be improved before i learned C++ to apply changes
> myself

I don't think this list is appropriate for this issue.

Further, I think your emails in this thread are flippant and demeaning
to the volunteers here.

I personally de-prioritize thinking about issues framed in this way.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: "ab" and SNI

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> is there something wrong with these patches or why does "ab" not send SNI headers?
> https://blogs.oracle.com/meena/entry/apachebench_ab_and_sni

I suggest using bugzilla.