Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/14 11:27:47 UTC

[AltRMI] Pass-by-reference redirection

*Redirection*

We've identified the need for ServerA to tell ClientA that the refernce
required should actually be got from ServerB.  As such, it needs to pass
back a redirection reply that communicates the location of the
redirected resource.  We think that some JDBC inspired driver string
would be the right thing:

  "altrmi:transport-type:host-details:service-name:reference-id"

Related to this we could have a factory impl (avoided thus far) that
would allow the above scheme to be used client side for provision of the
factory that performs lookup(..)

*HostFactoryProviders*

We should allow some sort of pluggable or chainable provders to the
factory.  The last thing we want is something that thunks itself in like
the XML parser in the SAX API.

Thoughts?

- Paul

Re: [AltRMI] Pass-by-reference redirection

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Vinay,

>> "altrmi:transport-type:host-details:service-name:reference-id"
>

>*Redirection* would also imply a protocol(REQUEST obj
>maybe )
> which allows ServerB to tell ServerA to register a
>remote object for him .

I was thinking of a solution for the immedate need (refer EOB people
example) :

Server 1 (Bean 1)  Address Factory, Manages Address
Server 2 (Bean 2)  People Factory, Manages People and their addresses

Client 1 (Bean 3) :
   Gets Bean1, makes a person.
   Gets Bean2 makes an address.
   For its person remote ref, on bean1 sets the address to that made above.

In this case the ref the client has a problem in that it is trying to
pass a remote ref from server 1 to server 2.  Of course the client knows
nothing of this.  Anyway, to summarise, the two servers have instances
already, it is just that for one setAddress method in server 2, the
adress being used is also from a remote reference.  This is the area
that EJB steps into keys for to solve.  Maybe this goal (to have a 100%
reference solution) is impossible.

So I don't think the immedaite need is for "ServerA to register a remote
object for him ", but for "serverA to tell server B that it has a remote
inst that is being held for it" .....  For the immediate need anyway.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: [AltRMI] Pass-by-reference redirection

Posted by vinaysahil chandran <sa...@yahoo.com>.
> *Redirection*
>
> We've identified the need for ServerA to tell
> ClientA that the refernce
> required should actually be got from ServerB.  As
> such, it needs to pass
> back a redirection reply that communicates the
> location of the
> redirected resource.  We think that some JDBC
> inspired driver string
> would be the right thing:

"altrmi:transport-type:host-details:service-name:reference-id"

*Redirection* would also imply a protocol(REQUEST obj
maybe )
 which allows ServerB to tell ServerA to register a
remote object for him .

Flow of REQUESTs:

=====================
i) REMOTE PUBLISH