Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> on 2004/02/07 15:01:04 UTC

[IMP] Release Showstoppers!

Hi guys,

I took some time to test what we have... Found several showstoppers:

1) Exception during startup from portal block -> pluto -> castor. See
all startup messages [1]. To reproduce, plug out from the network.
Exception message is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: java.sun.com

2) JPEG "Hello World" exception (as seen also by Bertrand).
Unfortunately, exception is rethrown in Xalan, so stacktrace is useless.
Message is:
    java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeException:
http://localhost/:-1
    An I/O error occured while processing the URI '#blur1' specified on
the element <rect>

3) Ditto for PNG

4) Exception in "Syndication and Content Aggregation" -> "General". See
stacktrace [2]. Message is:
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Exception occured during xinclude processing,
and did not find a fallback element: Error parsing xPointer expression

5) Cacheable XSP is *painfully* slow! It takes 2 seconds per request!!!
Click on "http://localhost:8888/samples/xsp/java/cacheable?pageKey=one",
then on "http://localhost:8888/samples/xsp/java/cacheable?pageKey=two",
repeat.
INFO    (2004-02-07) 08:44.34:892   [access]
(/samples/xsp/java/cacheable) PoolThread-4/CocoonServlet:
'samples/xsp/java/cacheable' Processed by Apache Cocoon 2.1.4-dev in
2.043 seconds.
INFO    (2004-02-07) 08:44.41:882   [access]
(/samples/xsp/java/cacheable) PoolThread-4/CocoonServlet:
'samples/xsp/java/cacheable' Processed by Apache Cocoon 2.1.4-dev in
2.033 seconds.
But, if you access same pageKey, response coming back fast.

6) All Javascript XSP examples fail with exception. See stacktrace [3].
Message is:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
    at java.lang.String.<init>(String.java:192)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.LineBuffer.getString(LineBuffer.java:307)

These are all samples from the Cocoon *core*, and these all were working
in previous Cocoon release, so these are regression issues. I think we
can't make a Cocoon release with such regression issues.

PS I've not tried block samples yet. I'll try to test them this evening,
once I'm back from work...
<flamebait>but for blocks one can say "Oh, this block is in alpha state
in Cocoon 2.1.4, go use the one from 2.1.3"</flamebait>...

PPS Let's add Anteater to the CVS

Vadim

[1] All startup messages:
Main Class: org.mortbay.jetty.Server
08:07:27.509 EVENT  Checking Resource aliases
08:07:27.920 EVENT  Starting Jetty/4.2.14
08:07:28.391 EVENT  Started WebApplicationContext[/,.\build\webapp]
server.properties not found, using command line or default properties
Opening database:
C:\Work\OCTOWorkspace\cocoon-2.1\build\webapp\WEB-INF\db\cocoondb
HSQLDB server 1.7.1 is running
Use SHUTDOWN to close normally. Use [Ctrl]+[C] to abort abruptly
Sat Feb 07 08:07:35 GMT-05:00 2004 Listening for connections ...
java.net.UnknownHostException: java.sun.com
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:153)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:402)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:618)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:306)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:267)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:339)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:320)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:315)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:510)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:487)
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:615)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startEntity(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.startDTDEntity(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDTDScannerImpl.setInputSource(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$DTDDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown
Source)
        at
Source)
Source)
Source)
        at
org.exolab.castor.xml.Unmarshaller.unmarshal(Unmarshaller.java:555)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.pluto.om.PortletDefinitionRegistryImpl.load(PortletDefinitionRegistryImpl.java:227)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.pluto.om.PortletDefinitionRegistryImpl.load(PortletDefinitionRegistryImpl.java:189)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.pluto.om.PortletDefinitionRegistryImpl.initialize(PortletDefinitionRegistryImpl.java:161)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.pluto.PortletContainerEnvironmentImpl.init(PortletContainerEnvironmentImpl.java:137)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.pluto.PortletContainerEnvironmentImpl.initialize(PortletContainerEnvironmentImpl.java:116)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.impl.PortletPortalManager.initContainer(PortletPortalManager.java:197)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.portal.impl.PortletPortalManager.initialize(PortletPortalManager.java:165)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:313)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:143)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initialize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:558)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.CocoonComponentManager.initialize(CocoonComponentManager.java:547)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:340)
        at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.createCocoon(CocoonServlet.java:1369)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:514)

[2] Partial stacktrace:
org.xml.sax.SAXException: Exception occured during xinclude processing,
and did not find a fallback element: Error parsing xPointer expression
    at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.XIncludeTransformer$XIncludePipe.endElement(XIncludeTransformer.java:240)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endElement(AbstractXMLPipe.java:147)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLTeePipe.endElement(XMLTeePipe.java:124)
    at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown
Source)
    at
Source)
    at
Source)
    at org.apache.excalibur.xml.impl.JaxpParser.parse(JaxpParser.java:318)
    at org.apache.excalibur.xml.impl.JaxpParser.parse(JaxpParser.java:337)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.SourceUtil.parse(SourceUtil.java:284)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator.generate(FileGenerator.java:141)

[3] Stacktrace:
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
    at java.lang.String.<init>(String.java:192)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.LineBuffer.getString(LineBuffer.java:307)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.TokenStream.getToken(TokenStream.java:955)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.TokenStream.matchToken(TokenStream.java:632)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.argumentList(Parser.java:1140)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.memberExprTail(Parser.java:1236)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.memberExpr(Parser.java:1200)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.unaryExpr(Parser.java:1111)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.mulExpr(Parser.java:1058)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.addExpr(Parser.java:1041)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.shiftExpr(Parser.java:1028)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.relExpr(Parser.java:1011)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.eqExpr(Parser.java:998)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.bitAndExpr(Parser.java:987)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.bitXorExpr(Parser.java:976)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.bitOrExpr(Parser.java:965)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.andExpr(Parser.java:953)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.orExpr(Parser.java:941)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.condExpr(Parser.java:924)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.assignExpr(Parser.java:905)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.expr(Parser.java:894)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.statementHelper(Parser.java:787)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.statement(Parser.java:382)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Parser.parse(Parser.java:125)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.compile(Context.java:1981)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.compile(Context.java:1897)
    at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.compileReader(Context.java:899)
    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.xsp.JSGenerator.initialize(JSGenerator.java:146)

    at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:282)

    at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:313)

    at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.newPoolable(ResourceLimitingPool.java:672)

    at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool.ResourceLimitingPool.get(ResourceLimitingPool.java:402)

    at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.PoolableComponentHandler.doGet(PoolableComponentHandler.java:233)

    at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler.get(ComponentHandler.java:416)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.GeneratorSelector.select(GeneratorSelector.java:159)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.loadProgram(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:448)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.language.generator.ProgramGeneratorImpl.load(ProgramGeneratorImpl.java:315)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.generation.ServerPagesGenerator.setup(ServerPagesGenerator.java:205)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.setupPipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:397)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.setupPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:652)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.preparePipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:539)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:500)

    at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(SerializeNode.java:155)

Re: [OT] javascript documentation tool

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Robert Koberg wrote:
> hi,
>
> I was wondering (hoping) someone may have come across a good tool for
> documenting javascript similar (or not) to javadoc.

In Forrest CVS under scratchpad there is a javadoc like tool for
javascript, but it's veeeeeeeeeery embrional. More than a suggestion for
you to use it it's a heads-up to help on it ;-)

http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestdoc/

> I have found:
>
> http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/

Cool!

> but it does not document JS the way I write it :) which is like:

:-/

I hope in the future Forrest will be able to do it :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

[OT] javascript documentation tool

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
hi,

I was wondering (hoping) someone may have come across a good tool for
documenting javascript similar (or not) to javadoc. I have found:

http://jsdoc.sourceforge.net/

but it does not document JS the way I write it :) which is like:

function Shape() {
   var color = null;
   this.getColor = function() {
     return color;
   }
}

Circle.prototype = new Shape();
Circle.prototype.constructor = Circle;
Circle.superclass = Shape.prototype;

function Circle() {
   var radius = null;
   this.getRadius = function() {
     return radius;
   }
}

Does anyone know of such a thing?

thanks,
-Rob

Re: [IMP] Release Showstoppers!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Lundi, 9 fév 2004, à 11:56 Europe/Zurich, Stuart Roebuck a écrit :
> ...Okay, it's me that's daft, I thought the conversation was talking
> about Cacheable XSP, not a demo of it...

No problem - only those who write nothing never write something "daft"
;-)

-Bertrand

Re: [IMP] Release Showstoppers!

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk>.
On 9 Feb 2004, at 10:38 am, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Lundi, 9 fév 2004, à 11:32 Europe/Zurich, Stuart Roebuck a écrit :

>>> As long as I can take credit for "fixing" it!
>>>

>> Am I missing something here. I thought that logging was there to
>> enable this kind of 'debugging' with the absolute minimum of time
>> penalty.  Using a two second delay in a production version as a
>> 'hidden' way of communicating what's going on seems, to put it
>> mildly, 'daft'.
>
> Depends if you call samples "production stuff".
>
> This delay is coded in the cacheable.xsp page, which is a sample page,
> and does not affect the rest of Cocoon in any way.
>
> And it is clearly written on the page that this is so, so it is not
> hidden either. Maybe Vadim has seen the page so often that he didn't
> read it this time ;-)

Okay, it's me that's daft, I thought the conversation was talking about
Cacheable XSP, not a demo of it.

Apologies,

Stuart.

            Public Key - 1024D/88DD65AF 2001-11-23 Stuart Roebuck
(Adolos)
      Key fingerprint = 89D9 E405 F8B1 9B22 0FA2  F2C1 9E57 5AB1 88DD
65AF
-
Stuart Roebuck
stuart.roebuck@adolos.com
Systems Architect                         Java, XML, SQL, etc. to
eXtreme
ADOLOS
<http://www.adolos.com/>

Re: [IMP] Release Showstoppers!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> Um, isn't that because the xsp intentionally sleeps for 2 seconds so
>>> you can observe the effect of the caching?  It says it is doing so
>>> right on the page last time I looked.
>>
>> Indeed, this is by design so one can easily tell whether the page is
>> served from the cache or generated.
>
> Good, then strike (5) from the list :-)

As long as I can take credit for "fixing" it!

Geoff

Re: [IMP] Release Showstoppers!

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Just for the archives:

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=26751

> 2) JPEG "Hello World" exception (as seen also by Bertrand).
> 3) Ditto for PNG

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=26748
Fixed by reverting the last commit of Sylvain (passing Cocoon source
resolver to Batik).

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=26755

> 5) Cacheable XSP is *painfully* slow! It takes 2 seconds per request!!!

That's by design, quote from the page: "I need 2 seconds to be
generated, so you can tell if I'm being served from the cache or not."

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=26756

Re: [IMP] Release Showstoppers!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Samedi, 7 fév 2004, à 15:01 Europe/Zurich, Vadim Gritsenko a écrit :

> I took some time to test what we have... Found several showstoppers:...

See also the "next release" bug
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=25321
we have entered some new stuff including a scary cache corruption bug
(26753).

I'm (finally) off for the weekend, have fun!

-Bertrand