Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/09 15:58:13 UTC

Building Websphere/WSAD 5 projects with Maven

A coworker is converting a WebSphere project to build with Maven.
Neither of us is one of the project developers, so we're working
directly with the code in svn on a branch, and not with the IDE at
all.

I'll start with a couple of questions, but general advice from someone
who's worked with WSAD [1] and Maven is greatly appreciated.

Will WSAD work with Maven's standard src/main/java and src/main/webapp
directory structures?

How do you deal with the third-party jars?  Of course we'll install
them in the internal remote repository, but there are conflicting
opinions about which jars you really need for building projects.  The
architects say only three are necessary, another group says they
needed about 40 of them, and the group I'm working with now just wants
to point Maven at the entire lib directory they way they did with Ant.

[1] WebSphere Studio Application Developer

Thanks,
Wendy

RE: Building Websphere/WSAD 5 projects with Maven

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
With WSAD, we found that it required the WebContent dir to be right off the
project root dir.  We are in progress on rolling out RAD, so will experiment
again when I recreate the projects.

Along the way, you will need to decide which jars to build with: ones hosted
in central, and those put in your in-house repo from IBM/Oracle, etc.  For
example, when I set ours up about 1.5 years ago, I chose to use JMS from
central to build with vs using the proprietary jars from IBM.

I first setup the deps that I knew, then just added one dep at a time until
it built clean :-).  I would use the Ant lib dir only as a source of jars to
copy to the repo as necessary; ignore the others statements.

Posted by Greg Morgan <dr...@cox.net>.