Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2000/11/14 11:22:19 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

This is to announce a CFP for ApacheCon:
   	Santa Clara
        California, USA
        April 4-6, 2000

If you have registered before go here:
http://ApacheCon.Com/html/login.html

If you are new go here:
http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/html/cfp.html/

Just as with TPC our aim is to have a full double room track for mod_perl
for all 3 days. So make sure that you submit enough mod_perl material, so
we will have it full.

If you remember the thread where we have discussed a possibility of having
a dedicated mod_perl conference in the future, the next ApacheCon and TPC
will become the test our ability to bring enough speakers with interesting
talks which will result in full classes.

If this happens most chances are that we will have a dedicated mod_perl
conference next. So folks don't let us down :)

P.S. For ApacheCon you just submit your proposals from one of the above
links, no need to send proposals here for them to get accepted. Of course
you are welcome to discuss... :)

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 04:50 AM 11/14/00 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>Stas> P.S. For ApacheCon you just submit your proposals from one of the above
>Stas> links, no need to send proposals here for them to get accepted. Of
>course
>Stas> you are welcome to discuss... :)
>
>Since I've never been a "paper" speaker before, but only an invited
>speaker or paid tutorialist, would there be interest in me submitting
>something to the mix?  And how complicated would it need to
>be... something like an updated version of my "Stonehenge::Pictures"
>tool from my WT columns?  In fact, would a paper be the equivalent
>of a column, but presented live?
I can only speak for myself, but here's my take. Although I may piss off
some people/conference coordinators-- hopefully not.

1) I am sure there's always going to be an interest in you submitting
something to the mix. You're Randal Schwartz!

2) Different conferences have different audiences and different feels to them.

eg a lot of Usenix conferences are really formal. They always want a paper
plus eventual slides and they are usually quite academic. It's a lot of
work IMHO to submit to a Usenix conference. I am a bit disappointed that
PerlCon started taking this road (at least they made it really hard in the
1999 one) especially as PerlCon isn't Usenix.

Submitting formal papers is fine for academics, but in IMHO it's a waste of
time to have a speaker write a paper for most of the talks I've seen. And
usually the paper leaves things open that the speaker finally fills in the
blanks for at the conference -- so conference proceedings are 60% usually
sucky anyway -- even in paper format without forcing a formalism to the
suckiness. :)

On the other end of that you have something like the old LinuxExpo's in
North Carolina b4 RedHat made it big and quit the conference circuit. Those
talks were more informal and highly techie. Maybe YAPC is like that -- I
wish I could have attended a YAPC, they sound like a lot of fun.

Then you get the Web Design and Development or InternetWorld's of the
world... they're usually a lot of case studies and a bit more business
oriented. In fact, some of those more commercial conferences have even
started having the nerve to ask for money from the speakers to speak. By
the way, the ones I mentioned by name (WDD and IW) do NOT have this
practice as far as I know -- but I know others that do.

 From seeing the survey of talks, It seems to me like ApacheCon is in the
middle. It's not precisely an academic conference so the paper submission
process doesn't seem so annoying as a Usenix but it does have a good share
of techie talks. I think the talks tend not to be too case study oriented
which can be a good thing.

I think case studies are great if there is a good technical technique (eg a
case study on a multilingual website), but they get real boring if it's
just someone saying the same thing. eg when we did a talk on Perl in
investment banking at PerlCon 99, we wanted to make sure we weren't
spouting the same thing about Perl being a cool, easy-to-use glue language.

But to also share cool techniques that other investment bank IT people
attending our talk were able to chat about with us afterwards -- we've
still kept in touch with some of them. The fact that we were able to
connect with and reach out to Perl folks at other investment banks having
given the talk was really something that made it worthwhile for us.

Unfortunately, many case studies about Perl in XYZ industry tend to say the
same old mantra over and over again about how Perl is a great "glue"
language or something else everyone has heard about 10 million times.
Saying the same old thing is boring without backing up with some
interesting technique.

I do think that beginner talks are vital to conferences like ApacheCon to
get new people into open source and loving it. And also paying for the
facilities for the tech side.

I also think that some small mix of talks should be given to new people
who've never talked before because it will get them interested in open
source and contributing more. To some degree, people who are witty and good
at talking but who aren't as deep techie-wise are actually great people to
give a talk teaching new people how to do stuff.

I am no judge of speaking, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I prefer
engineering related stuff. So although I am sure your pictures module may
be interesting. I would personally find your articles (and hence talking)
on things like your bandwidth throttling mechanisms and by extension using
mod_perl to manage spider attacks more interesting to me. But that's just
me -- as I said in a previous post, my tastes may be a bit out on the outer
techie edge.

Of course, I could also be misinterpreting what your pictures module does
-- and it might be more interesting to me than I am thinking.  I obviously
can't speak for what others would think. But I definitely like the
throttling stuff. :)

Anyway, I suspect most conferences including ApacheCon would take slides.
And if a paper is submitted along with the slides, that's awesome. The
notes on the CFP page on the ApacheCon conference seem quite pragmatic.
They just want at least the notes that go with the slides so that a
non-attendee could get virtually the same information as attending the
talk. That doesn't mean you have to submit an entirely separate formal
paper (Usenix style).

In other words, I think they make it as easy as possible on the speakers
without sacrificing the attendees being able to get the jist of the talk if
they miss a talk because 2 interesting ones are scheduled at the same time.

Later,
    Gunther

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

> Stas> P.S. For ApacheCon you just submit your proposals from one of the above
> Stas> links, no need to send proposals here for them to get accepted. Of course
> Stas> you are welcome to discuss... :)
>
> Since I've never been a "paper" speaker before, but only an invited
> speaker or paid tutorialist, would there be interest in me submitting
> something to the mix?  And how complicated would it need to
> be... something like an updated version of my "Stonehenge::Pictures"
> tool from my WT columns?  In fact, would a paper be the equivalent
> of a column, but presented live?
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, but I've only been on the voting end, never
> the proposing end. :)

I think in your case you just have to submit your name as a proposal :)

But seriously, all you have to submit is a description of the talk you are
going to give. I think quite many of you columns will be very heartly
accepted. Stuff like Throttling module and other cool uses of mod_perl are
mostly welcome. So I suppose that if pack in a few cool columns and make
an application/modules talk, it'd be just right.

As for the 'paper' question, you've got the handouts already, it's the
column. Just need to turn them into slides.

I'm not sure about showing lots of code though, it's quite hard to catch
it on the fly, so may be talking about concepts and live demos (with
probably common errors showing) would be the best. Massaging the whole
code in the column might not be very good idea. But you know what's the
right thing to do much better than me. I'm just talking from my
experience.

Let these talks come in rain, we want Terry (the boss of Camelot who
organizes ApacheCon) to be impressed and for her to give OK to organize
our mod_perl conference.

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Drew Taylor <dr...@openair.com>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

> > <meek mode>
> > If any one is interested I could do something on Session Manager - which
> > I've been looking at rewriting in C - but I have to learn C at the same
> > time so its very slow ....
> > </meek mode>
>
> Inline.pm!

That is a most cool module! Has anyone used it in a production
environment yet?

--
Drew Taylor
Software Engineer
Open a free account today at www.openair.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Greg Cope wrote:

> > I'd like to see a talk on templating systems and mod_perl. Hint to whomever
> > is watching. :)
>
> Your trying to reignight that old thread .... don the flame proff stuff,
> seriously this would be a good mod_perl thing.
>
> Matt are you going to do something on AXKit ?

Assuming my proposal gets accepted, yes. Although I think next time I'm
going to be less nice about Cocoon :-)

> <meek mode>
> If any one is interested I could do something on Session Manager - which
> I've been looking at rewriting in C - but I have to learn C at the same
> time so its very slow ....
> </meek mode>

Inline.pm!

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **
     \\//
     //\\
    //  \\

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Greg Cope <gr...@rubberplant.freeserve.co.uk>.
Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> At 01:58 PM 11/14/00 +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> >At 11:22 14/11/2000 +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > >Just as with TPC our aim is to have a full double room track for mod_perl
> > >for all 3 days. So make sure that you submit enough mod_perl material, so
> > >we will have it full.
> >
> >I have some experience speaking before a crowd at conferences (though not
> >at technical ones) or on stage and I think I know mod_perl enough to be
> >able to write about several aspects of using it. The one thing I'm missing
> >is inspiration :) Are there any subjects that desperatly beg to be talked
> >about but have no writer/speaker ?
> Speaking on just what I'd like to see... but my tastes may be a bit eclectic.
>
> I'd like to see a talk on templating systems and mod_perl. Hint to whomever
> is watching. :)

Your trying to reignight that old thread .... don the flame proff stuff,
seriously this would be a good mod_perl thing.

Matt are you going to do something on AXKit ?

> Actually I suspect case studies would be good.
>
> I'd also be very interested in performance benchmarks related to some of
> the more sophisticated techniques people talk about (eg using IPC vs files
> for storing shared data).
>

> Maybe a case study on developing huge sites on mod_perl. I imagine the
> system Ask works on would be an interesting engineering case study with
> real world benchmarks.

This would be good "advertising" and hence help when we go to a
{client|boss|manager|person with pointy hair} and say look at mod_perl
site XZY runs it (and hopefully they go "Ah ... your hired !" ;-).

> I'd also love to see an as objective as possible talk comparing the
> mod_perl 1.0 and 2.0 architectures to the Apache Java Servlet/JSP stuff.
> And maybe some performance comparisons for simple stuff written in both.
> Not too many people use both Java and Perl and I think most people don't
> really understand how or where one should/could be used over the other.

Gunter - sounds like you are talking yourself into a slot here - again
this would be interesting from a PHB perspective i.e put mod_perl into
context with Java.

<meek mode>
If any one is interested I could do something on Session Manager - which
I've been looking at rewriting in C - but I have to learn C at the same
time so its very slow ....
</meek mode>

Greg

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> Methods for sharing data, and OO frameworks for working with databases
> (Tangram, Alzabo, Persistent::*) would both be great topics.  I'd also be

I'm always happy to talk about Alzabo but there's very little about it
that's mod_perl specific.  I was hoping to be giving a talk about it at
the next TPC and/or YAPC.

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
We await the New Sun
==================*/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
> I'd like to see a talk on templating systems and mod_perl. Hint to whomever
> is watching. :)

I was planning to submit my paper, "Perl Templating Systems Deathmatch".

> I'd also be very interested in performance benchmarks related to some of
> the more sophisticated techniques people talk about (eg using IPC vs files
> for storing shared data).

Methods for sharing data, and OO frameworks for working with databases
(Tangram, Alzabo, Persistent::*) would both be great topics.  I'd also be
interested to hear from authors of modules lilke Apache::PageKit,
CGI::Application and PApp about the approach they're taking to web apps.

> Maybe a case study on developing huge sites on mod_perl.

I could talk about the system we just built at etoys.com.  I think I'll
only be able to handle one or the other though.  Maybe I'll save one for
the Perl conference.

- Perrin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 08:43 PM 11/15/00 +0300, Ilya Martynov wrote:
>On 15 Nov 2000, David Hodgkinson wrote:
>
>DH> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>DH>
>DH> > Ralf is always talking about SSL stuff, so if you want to do it, why
>don't
>DH> > you just contact him and sync with him. It's not mod_perl but many of us
>DH> > are using it. So it'd probably be questionable for TPC , but perfect for
>DH> > ApacheCon.
>DH>
>DH> Is there a way of doing mod_rewrite maps in perl?
>
>RewriteMap config option allows you specify external program as source of
>map information. It can be in perl. Apache documentation for mod_rewrite has
>an example of such program.

I am not sure (it might be nice if someone could clarify) but I think that
mod_rewrite has to launch it as an external program each time it does this.
It strikes me that this would be expensive?

But I am not sure. Maybe mod_rewrite can cache the program output?

Later,
    Gunther

Re: implementing server affinity

Posted by Chris Nokleberg <ch...@sportsrocket.com>.
I thought about mod_rewrite but I would like this affinity module to
handle the job of picking a random/round-robin backend server and setting
the cookie itself. That way I don't have any session mgmt code in the
backend server; I will just "know" that certain urls are guaranteed to
bring the user back to the same box.

--Chris

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.

Posted by Chris Nokleberg <ch...@sportsrocket.com>.
Most of our pages are served by identical load-balanced boxes, and it
doesn't matter which box serves what.

However, a few special pages store a lot of per-user session data. Instead
of burdening our db machine to store this data, I would like to use the
filesystem. This requires that for these special pages, users are assigned
a (random) box and are redirected back to that box on subsequent
requests (presumably using a cookie).

I know that some of load-balancers support this feature, but it seems like
it would be relatively simple and efficient to implement by adding a
TransHandler to the front-end proxy server on each box. The proxy would
connect to a backend mod_perl httpd on a different box if it needed to,
for these special pages only.

Of course, the front-end proxy servers don't have mod_perl, so the
TransHandler would have to be written in C (?). Does anyone know of any
existing code that does this sort of thing? Or simply well-written C
TransHandlers that I could work off of? Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> David> Is there a way of doing mod_rewrite maps in perl?
>
> Just write a good PerlTransHandler.  I do that all the time.  I tossed
> mod_rewrite long ago.  Arcane syntax, many special variables, heavily
> dependent on regular expressions and special operators... how could
> anything like that ever catch on? {grin}

Excuuuuse me...

Ok, so where's the mod_rewrite2PerlTransHandler.pl?

;-)

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Posted by Ilya Martynov <m_...@agava.com>.

AGAVA Software Company, http://www.agava.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.

Posted by Andy Wardley <ab...@cre.canon.co.uk>.
On Nov 14,  4:15pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > I'd like to see a talk on templating systems and mod_perl. Hint to whomever
> > is watching. :)
>
> You mean Andy? :) I'm sure with the speed he talks he could cover all
> available template modules in the one tutorial time, especially if Simon
> flips the slides for him :)

I...must...remember...to...speak...very...very...slowly... :-)

And yes, I've got plans to submit a paper (or two) on building web systems
using Apache/mod_perl, XML, Template Toolkit, Duct Tape, and various other
bits and pieces.

Anyone who's in London this week might like to come along to the
london.pm technical meeting to get a flavour of what I'm doing.  Uhm, let
me just cut and paste....here.

   * iCan - take some XML, Apache/mod_perl and the Template Toolkit, shake,
     bake and build a groovy web site and internet help desk for Canon
     UK, they that otherwise lack clues in such matters.

Apologies to the larger majority who don't live in London - you'll have
to wait until next April. :-)

More details from london.pm.org

Andy Wardley <ab...@kfs.org>   Signature regenerating.  Please remain seated.
     <ab...@cre.canon.co.uk>   For a good time: http://www.kfs.org/~abw/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ApacheCon USA 2001: Call For Papers

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
> At 01:58 PM 11/14/00 +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:
> >At 11:22 14/11/2000 +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > >Just as with TPC our aim is to have a full double room track for mod_perl
> > >for all 3 days. So make sure that you submit enough mod_perl material, so
> > >we will have it full.
> >
> >I have some experience speaking before a crowd at conferences (though not
> >at technical ones) or on stage and I think I know mod_perl enough to be
> >able to write about several aspects of using it. The one thing I'm missing
> >is inspiration :) Are there any subjects that desperatly beg to be talked
> >about but have no writer/speaker ?
> Speaking on just what I'd like to see... but my tastes may be a bit eclectic.
>
> I'd like to see a talk on templating systems and mod_perl. Hint to whomever
> is watching. :)

You mean Andy? :) I'm sure with the speed he talks he could cover all
available template modules in the one tutorial time, especially if Simon
flips the slides for him :)

> Actually I suspect case studies would be good.
>
> I'd also be very interested in performance benchmarks related to some of
> the more sophisticated techniques people talk about (eg using IPC vs files
> for storing shared data).

+1

> I'd love a talk on mod_rewrite. But that's not really mod_perl, and maybe
> Ralf himself should give it. I know it's a bit of an old module, but it's
> also pretty magical even still.

Ralf is always talking about SSL stuff, so if you want to do it, why don't
you just contact him and sync with him. It's not mod_perl but many of us
are using it. So it'd probably be questionable for TPC , but perfect for
ApacheCon.

> I'd also like to see more talks on engineering. The mod_backhand talk is
> great, but what about a good solid comparison about the other solutions.
> What's the performance between mod_backhands proxying and straight
> mod_rewrite rotational load balancing?

Well I guess it'd be really hard to find such a person, unless Theo will
help us :) Or I'm mistaken and there is a brave person in the crowd with
the right skills to teach the rest of the us illiterate :)

> Maybe a case study on developing huge sites on mod_perl. I imagine the
> system Ask works on would be an interesting engineering case study with
> real world benchmarks.

Uhm, is it's IP of the company? I'd be glad to hear that talk.

As I've mentioned in one of my prev posts, Eric Cholet will probably share
with rest of us, the knowledge we gain here (jazzvalley.com) for doing
multilingual stuff with TT and mod_perl. So there will be at least one
engineering talk.

> I'd also love to see an as objective as possible talk comparing the
> mod_perl 1.0 and 2.0 architectures to the Apache Java Servlet/JSP stuff.
> And maybe some performance comparisons for simple stuff written in both.
> Not too many people use both Java and Perl and I think most people don't
> really understand how or where one should/could be used over the other.

Looks like a perfect subject for you Gunther :)

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.