Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Steven White <sw...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/15 14:01:01 UTC

Does Solr 3.6.1 support FIPS 140-2

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Solr 3.6.1 supports FIPS 140-2?

Thanks

Steve

Re: Does Solr 3.6.1 support FIPS 140-2

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/15/21 7:01 AM, Steven White wrote:
> Does anyone know if Solr 3.6.1 supports FIPS 140-2?

Solr 3.6.1 was announced on July 22, 2012.  Over nine years ago. At that
time, Solr itself didn't have any kind of encryption capability.  If you
want to enable encryption for that version of Solr, you need to set up
encryption in the container that is running Solr.  That version of Solr
only required Java 5, but would probably work with versions up to Java
8.  I am not sure about that, because I have not tested it.

Current versions of Solr allow adding HTTPS encryption to Jetty without
ever directly touching the Jetty config.  Whether or not the encryption
meets the standards of that FIPS document will be largely determined by
the version of Java that you are running, since it is Java that actually
does the encryption.  Also be aware that the container that shipped with
Solr 3.6.1 was Jetty 6, which is also extremely old.

Thanks,
Shawn