Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@apache.org> on 2015/11/14 22:47:59 UTC

[ANN] Felix Maven Bundle Plugin version 3.0.1 Released

The Felix team is pleased to announce the release of Felix Maven
Bundle Plugin version 3.0.1

The Maven Bundle Plugin provides Maven integration for the bnd tool
that adds OSGi metadata to jar files.

  http://felix.apache.org/components/bundle-plugin

This release is available from
http://felix.apache.org/site/downloads.cgi and Maven:

  <plugin>
    <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
    <version>3.0.1</version>
  </plugin>

Release Notes:

Release Notes - Felix - Version maven-bundle-plugin-3.0.1

** Bug
    * [FELIX-5062] - maven-bundle-plugin includes tests dependencies
in package analysis
    * [FELIX-5070] - Simple syntax for specifying embedded
dependencies has broken

** Improvement
    * [FELIX-5073] - Option to create dependency-reduced-pom exists

Enjoy!

-The Felix team

Re: OSGI stream processing

Posted by de...@mobigov.com.

Yes I saw those links and eventually got read up on them. I think I am
trying to get an understanding of where things are going from there in
regards to the other osgi libraries. For example typesafe takes those
things and the dto rfc and builds their entire system with those things
as the base.

akka http is how they are building web applications (is felix http going
to head in that direction instead of jetty)

slick is how they do async database access (pax jdbc and jpa would be
effected)

eventadmin and logging could be effected

I am trying to figure out what is the end goal with regards to felix and
async is. I like akka and have no qualms with their philosophy. The only
reason I don't use it is because I don't think the libraries and tooling
around scala are far enough yet, but if that is the direction osgi is
headed then I am fine with that. If the idea is to just offer an
alternative at the osgi layer and felix will stay the same but others
can write libraries using them as a base then I am good with that too. I
am just trying to get a feeling for where things are going and what
direction those who are blazing the osgi trail are trying to take the
libraries.

On 2015-11-15 13:57, Raymond Auge wrote:

> You may be interested in these two RFCs currently being worked on by the
> OSGi Alliance:
>
> [1 [1]] Distributed Eventing
> [2 [2]] Push Streams
>
> Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
>
> via:
> - the osgi public bugzilla [3 [3]]
> - the osgi-dev mail list [4 [4]]
> - joining the alliance [5 [5]] (recommended) :D
>
> Sincerely,
> - Ray
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0214/rfc-0214-DistributedEventing.pdf [1]
> [2]
> https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0216/rfc-0216-PushStreams.pdf [2]
> [3] https://osgi.org/bugzilla/ [3]
> [5] https://www.osgi.org/join/ [5]
>
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM, <de...@mobigov.com> wrote:
> Nevermind I think I got a little better understanding. Event admin does not return promises or support backpressure through these eventtypes because it was written before all of this. Are there plans to change the event admin api to become a publisher or does it serve a different purpose and if I am looking for streams support it would be better to write a custom publisher for events and pub-sub On 2015-11-15 11:54, development@mobigov.com wrote: I read an article this morning here.

http://akarnokd.blogspot.hu/2015/11/asynchronous-event-streams-vs-reactive.html
[6] [1 [1]] My guess is that util.promises were more designed with OSGI
services in mind rather than event streams so that is why some of the
design decisions were made the way they were. I did think the author did
have a couple of points though. I am still new to streams and osgi and
think much of the article was over my head. I was hoping others could
give me their feelings on some of the criticisms where the author may
have had a point or been on the wrong track? Does the felix event admin
use the promises library under the hood or is it completely separate
because they are both at the compendium level and it would be a bad idea
to have dependencies on other compendium libs. Is there a good example
out there where I can take a look at the code and see how I should be
looking to implement eventadmin with promises and streams. Thanks for
any advise, David Daniel Links: ------ [1 [1]]
http://akarnokd.blogspot.hu/2015/11/asynchronous-event-streams-vs-reactive.html
[6]

Links:
------
[1]
https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0214/rfc-0214-DistributedEventing.pdf
[2]
https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0216/rfc-0216-PushStreams.pdf
[3] https://osgi.org/bugzilla/
[5] https://www.osgi.org/join/
[6]
http://akarnokd.blogspot.hu/2015/11/asynchronous-event-streams-vs-reactive.html

Re: OSGI stream processing

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
You may be interested in these two RFCs currently being worked on by the
OSGi Alliance:

[1] Distributed Eventing
[2] Push Streams

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

via:
- the osgi public bugzilla [3]
- the osgi-dev mail list [4]
- joining the alliance [5] (recommended) :D

Sincerely,
- Ray

[1]
https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0214/rfc-0214-DistributedEventing.pdf
[2]
https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0216/rfc-0216-PushStreams.pdf
[3] https://osgi.org/bugzilla/
[5] https://www.osgi.org/join/

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM, <de...@mobigov.com> wrote:

> Nevermind I think I got a little better understanding. Event admin does
> not return promises or support backpressure through these eventtypes
> because it was written before all of this. Are there plans to change the
> event admin api to become a publisher or does it serve a different
> purpose and if I am looking for streams support it would be better to
> write a custom publisher for events and pub-sub
>
> On 2015-11-15 11:54, development@mobigov.com wrote:
>
> >> I read an article this morning here.
> http://akarnokd.blogspot.hu/2015/11/asynchronous-event-streams-vs-reactive.html
> [1] My guess is that util.promises were more designed with OSGI services in
> mind rather than event streams so that is why some of the design decisions
> were made the way they were. I did think the author did have a couple of
> points though. I am still new to streams and osgi and think much of the
> article was over my head. I was hoping others could give me their feelings
> on some of the criticisms where the author may have had a point or been on
> the wrong track? Does the felix event admin use the promises library under
> the hood or is it completely separate because they are both at the
> compendium level and it would be a bad idea to have dependencies on other
> compendium libs. Is there a good example out there where I can take a look
> at the code and see how I should be looking to implement eventadmin with
> promises and streams. Thanks for any advise, David Daniel
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
>
> http://akarnokd.blogspot.hu/2015/11/asynchronous-event-streams-vs-reactive.html

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Re: OSGI stream processing

Posted by de...@mobigov.com.

On 2015-11-15 11:54, development@mobigov.com wrote:

>> I read an article this morning here. http://akarnokd.blogspot.hu/2015/11/asynchronous-event-streams-vs-reactive.html [1] My guess is that util.promises were more designed with OSGI services in mind rather than event streams so that is why some of the design decisions were made the way they were. I did think the author did have a couple of points though. I am still new to streams and osgi and think much of the article was over my head. I was hoping others could give me their feelings on some of the criticisms where the author may have had a point or been on the wrong track? Does the felix event admin use the promises library under the hood or is it completely separate because they are both at the compendium level and it would be a bad idea to have dependencies on other compendium libs. Is there a good example out there where I can take a look at the code and see how I should be looking to implement eventadmin with promises and streams. Thanks for any advise, David Daniel

Links:
------
[1]