Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Preetam <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/18 11:32:34 UTC

How are advisory topics different from durable topics ?

Hi,

We user AdvisorySupport.QUEUE_ADVISORY_TOPIC for listening to all
existing/new queue creation events and then dynamically create a
DefaultMessageListenerContainer for that queue. Thus every time we restart
consumer hosts, all listeners get created.  How does this work ?

I need to create something similar where I want a topic to contain messages
even for the consumers that might come up in future. Is it the "retroactive
consumer feature ?" But the client is not passing the
"?consumer.retroactive=true". Also I do not see this feature being enabled
for advisory topics when I view through JMX console. Further I don't see us
setting clientId/subscriptionName when registering for advisory topic. Then
how does advisory topic remember and push all the queues/topics that exist
on broker.

Thanks
Preetam

Re: How are advisory topics different from durable topics ?

Posted by Preetam <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the detailed answer. It is very useful.

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Advisory toipcs replay existing state to new consumers so that a new
consumer doesn't miss events in the past. It won't replay every single
event, just the events that would create the "current" state, ie in your
case, the existing queues. This behavior is built into the advisory
destination implementation and not implemented with retroactive consumer.

You can achieve something "similar" if you use retroactive consumer
(setting it on a destination policy, not by passing it with the consumer:
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2911 for more

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Preetam <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We user AdvisorySupport.QUEUE_ADVISORY_TOPIC for listening to all
> existing/new queue creation events and then dynamically create a
> DefaultMessageListenerContainer for that queue. Thus every time we restart
> consumer hosts, all listeners get created.  How does this work ?
>
> I need to create something similar where I want a topic to contain messages
> even for the consumers that might come up in future. Is it the "retroactive
> consumer feature ?" But the client is not passing the
> "?consumer.retroactive=true". Also I do not see this feature being enabled
> for advisory topics when I view through JMX console. Further I don't see us
> setting clientId/subscriptionName when registering for advisory topic. Then
> how does advisory topic remember and push all the queues/topics that exist
> on broker.
>
> Thanks
> Preetam

*Christian Posta*