Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> on 2006/03/16 08:42:43 UTC

[Axis2] New experimental feature (putting web resources inside service archive file)

Hi all;

I show a mail in the list asking about adding web content inside service
archive file and I wanted to implement that. So I came up with one way
of doing this (actually I have implemented that). So thats happen as
follows;

1. User can add web content (html , jsp , js etc ...) into his service
archive file by adding directory called “www”into .aar file. With web
content service aar file look like follows;
Foo.aar
*META-INF*
services.xml

*www*
css
index.html
jsps
images

*org*
apache
axis2
service
*.class
* lib*
myservice.jar

2. Then deployment guy will realize that the service contains some web
resources content and that Deployment and AxisServlet will do the followings
1. AxisServlet will set a system property with the value of its context
path.
2. If that property is there only and if the service archive file
contains www directory then , it will copied those web content into
webapp/axis2/foo (if the service archive name is foo.aar)

*I have only tested in tomcat* , and it worked for me. And the url that
you are getting for the service web resources is
localhost:8080/axis2/foo if the service archive name is foo.

I think this is a valid requirement to bundle service and its UI
together and deploy that , rather than first deploy the service and then
manually copy the UI stuffs.

Shall I commit those code ?
I am waiting for suggestions and improvements :)

Deepal
~Future is Open~

Re: [Axis2] New experimental feature (putting web resources inside service archive file)

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
Since this is a neat (and particularly useful) feature, I would say we
should mark it experimental and just commit it in. My guess is it will
work perfectly with the default configuration of tomcat and hence we
should just note that down somewhere and put the thing in the
repository.

Ajith

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2] New experimental feature (putting web resources inside service archive file)

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Deepal

--