Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jonathan Weeks <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/01 20:52:41 UTC

Updated Kafka Roadmap?

Howdy,

I was wondering if it would be possible to update the release plan:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Future+release+plan

aligned with the feature roadmap:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Index

We have several active projects actively and planning to use Kafka, and any current guidance on the new releases related to ZK dependence, producer and consumer API/client timing would be very helpful. For example, is 0.8.2 possible in August, or is September likely?

Also, any chance something like:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Idempotent+Producer

…might make it into 0.9?

Thanks!

Re: Updated Kafka Roadmap?

Posted by David Birdsong <da...@gmail.com>.
I too could benefit from an updated roadmap.

We're in a similar situation where some components in our stream processing
stack could use an overhaul, but I'm waiting for the offset API to be fully
realized before doing any meaningful planning.

Re: Updated Kafka Roadmap?

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
Hey Jonathan, I just sent an email on the dev list to discuss this.

Not to be double effort but for posterity and good thread communication if
you can voice your opinion there it would be great (please)

I would volunteer to release 0.8.1.2, not a problem.

My concern with 0.8.2 is with any new release are corner cases and some
features (like KAFKA-1419) are important enough for dot release.  The
source jar in maven too!

The community needs to speak up if they want this!

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly