Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/11/06 19:50:57 UTC

Re: What committer would like to moderate derby ?

Somebody asked me offline what a moderator does. Some information is here:

   http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail-moderate

But I thought I'd try to fill in some context.

ASF mail lists receive an astonishing amount of spam daily. Most of it
gets filtered out by SpamAssassin (http://spamassassin.apache.org/ ) but
some spam slips by and attempts to get posted to the various lists.

One of the features of the way the derby lists were set up is posts only
automatically make it to the list if --

 1) the poster is subscribed to the list
 2) the first post by a new subscriber has been accepted

When you sign up to be a moderator, moderation requests get sent to the
email address you specified. The request includes several ways to reply
to accept or reject the post. The moderator looks at a moderation
request, and:

 1) If it's obviously spam, simply delete it. The moderation request
includes a "reject" address, but don't even bother. After a week without
any response, the post will automatically be rejected.

 2) If it's a good post, respond to the moderation request to 'accept'
that post. If you do a "reply all", this will also include the 'allow'
address, which will let through future posts by this subscriber.

Moderators also get contacted by users who are having trouble
subscribing or posting. Users can post to <list>-owner , for example
derby-dev-owner@db.apache.org, for help.

So that's basically it.

 -jean

p.s. Other lists at apache get configured slightly differently. For
example, some of them also moderate subscriptions.