Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Yatir Ben Shlomo <ya...@outbrain.com> on 2010/08/16 07:55:32 UTC

question: havnig multiple solrCloud configuration on the same machine

Hi!
I am using solrCloud with tomcat5.5
in my setup every lanugage has an its own index and its own solr filters so it needs a seprated solr configuration files.

in solrCLoud examples posted here : http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud
I noticed that bootstrap_confdir is a given as global -D parameter
but I need to be able to supply it per Core
I tried doing this in solr.xml but failed

solr.xml
<core name='coreES' instanceDir='coreES/'>
  <property name='dataDir' value='/Data/Solr/coreES' />
 <property name="bootstrap_confdir" value="/home/tomcat/solr/coreES/conf"/>
</core>

all my cores are usign the same zoo keeper configuration according to the -Dbootstrap_confdi=...

does anyone know how I can specify the bootstrap_confdir on a per-core basis?
thanks

Yatir Ben Shlomo
Outbrain Engineering
yatirb@outbrain.com<ma...@outbrain.com>
tel: +972-73-223912
fax: +972-9-8350055
www.outbrain.com<http://www.outbrain.com/>

Re: question: havnig multiple solrCloud configuration on the same machine

Posted by Stijn Vanhoorelbeke <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm following your suggestions.

Extract of your last step:
>This would give you three different configurations - you would then edit
>the zookeeper info to point each collection (essentially a SolrCore at
>this point) to the right configuration files:
>
>collections/collection1
>  config=conf1
>
>collections/collection2
>  config=conf2
>
>collections/collection3
>  config=conf3

How do you manage to set this?
Do you need to modify solr.xml to set this stuff?

Stijn Vanhoorelbeke,

Re: question: havnig multiple solrCloud configuration on the same machine

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/10 1:55 AM, Yatir Ben Shlomo wrote:
> Hi!
> I am using solrCloud with tomcat5.5
> in my setup every lanugage has an its own index and its own solr filters so it needs a seprated solr configuration files.
>
> in solrCLoud examples posted here : http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud
> I noticed that bootstrap_confdir is a given as global -D parameter
> but I need to be able to supply it per Core
> I tried doing this in solr.xml but failed

bootstrap_confdir does not necessarily correlate to a core. It uploads a
set of configuration files that might be used by one core or many cores.
So you want to create multiple configurations, and then assign the right
cores to the right set of configuration files.

For all but the simplest demos, you really have to edit the zookeeper
config yourself. There are tools to help you do this. See:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/UsefulTools

If you don't want to upload the files yourself to zk, you can start Solr
multiple times with different bootstrap_confdir and
collection.configName values.

So you might start up with:

-Dbootstrap_confdir=./solr/conf1 -Dcollection.configName=coreconf1

then with:

-Dbootstrap_confdir=./solr/conf2 -Dcollection.configName=coreconf2

and a third time with:

-Dbootstrap_confdir=./solr/conf3 -Dcollection.configName=coreconf3

This would give you three different configurations - you would then edit
the zookeeper info to point each collection (essentially a SolrCore at
this point) to the right configuration files:

collections/collection1
  config=conf1

collections/collection2
  config=conf2