Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@apache.org> on 2007/03/23 21:10:47 UTC

[RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

The mod_perl 1.30 release candidate #1 has arrived. It can be
downloaded here:

http://www.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/mod_perl-1.30-rc1.tar.gz

MD5 : 639e045d782a667111146a70b7948dfa
SHA1: 942eaffe4570a9060b3a0ed7de52ac902d054cbb

The summary of what has changed since 1.29 are (from Changes):

SECURITY: CVE-2007-1349 (cve.mitre.org)
fix unescaped variable interpolation in Apache::PerlRun
regular expression to prevent regex engine tampering.
reported by Alex Solovey
[Randal L. Schwartz <me...@stonehenge.com>, Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>]

Pull in the new Apache-SizeLimit from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-SizeLimit/trunk
and obsolete the previous lib/Apache/SizeLimit.pm.
[Philip M. Gollucci]

Fix an Apache::(Registry|PerlRun) bug caused by special characters
in the url [kolya@mail.ru]

Display a more verbose message if Apache.pm can't be loaded
[Geoffrey Young]

Fix incorrect win32 detection in Apache::SizeLimit reported by
Matt Phillips <mp...@virage.com> [Philippe M. Chiasson]

The print-a-scalar-reference feature is now deprecated and documented
as such [Stas]

fix "PerlSetVar Foo 0" so that $r->dir_config('Foo') returns 0, not undef
[Geoffrey Young]

for some reason .pm files during the modperl build see $ENV{PERL5LIB}
set in Makefile.PL, which is used for generating Makefiles, as
"PERL5LIB=/path:/another/path" instead of "/path:/another/path"
essentially rendering this env var useless. I'm not sure why, may be
MakeMaker kicks in somewhere. Trying to workaround by
s/PERL5LIB/PERL5LIB_ENV/, using anything that's not PERL5LIB. [Stas]

change $INC{$key} = undef; to delete $INC{$key}; in PerlFreshRestart
[Geoffrey Young]

Fix a bug in Makefile.PL for Win32 where it would, in
certain cases, pick up the wrong Perl include directory
[Steve Hay]

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Philippe> SECURITY: CVE-2007-1349 (cve.mitre.org)
>
> Is it disinformation at
> <http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-1349> that says it was
> assigned on march *8th*.  Last I looked, it was closer to the 23rd.  Weird.
>
> Or is the number copied wrong?

I've been told both are correct - the numbers are allocated in advance
to the ASF contact person, who then assigns them to projects as necessary.

--Geoff

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Nikolay Ananiev wrote:
> Ah, at last there will be a mp1 release :)
> This is a patch I've wanted to make for ages, but haven't had time.
> The attached patch fixes the APACI build process for cygwin.
Committed revision 530240.
I think this and A-SL integration will make a good cause for 1.32

I don't think we should wait for Apache-Reload.

At any rate, Nikolay, can you test branches/1.x before I re-integrate A-SL.

1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by Nikolay Ananiev <an...@thegdb.com>.
I have a flight to Germany in 2 hours and I'll be back on Saturday,
so I'll be able to test this on Saturday.

Posted by Nikolay Ananiev <an...@thegdb.com>.
Tested and works on
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 ananiev 1.5.24(0.156/4/2) 2007-01-31 10:57 i686 Cygwin

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by Nikolay Ananiev <an...@thegdb.com>.
I don't insist on putting the patch in this release.
Just saw the RC and remembered that mp1 didn't build on cygwin,
so I decided to make the patch.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC2 (and Apache-SizeLimit 0.91-RC3)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>>I added a note in the Changes file that Apache-SizeLimit was pulled in
>>from CPAN (at the soon to be simultaneously released 0.91) - the diff
>>between SL.pm in 1.29 and 1.30 is huge, but we hadn't recorded it anywhere.
>

> I got that update and I'll include it in the final release, no need to
> re-RC for just that change though.

yup, agreed :)

--Geoff

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC2 (and Apache-SizeLimit 0.91-RC3)

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@apache.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>> This release is basically exactly the same as RC1 with the exception that
>> it includes Apache-SizeLimit RC3 (both to be released simultaneously once
>> the RCs are golden)
>>
>> Grab them here:
>>  http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/mod_perl-1.30-rc2.tar.gz
>
> I added a note in the Changes file that Apache-SizeLimit was pulled in
> from CPAN (at the soon to be simultaneously released 0.91) - the diff
> between SL.pm in 1.29 and 1.30 is huge, but we hadn't recorded it anywhere.

I got that update and I'll include it in the final release, no need to
re-RC for just that change though.

> so, +1 with that minor doc update.  all tests pass for me.

Coolio!

>>  http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/Apache2-SizeLimit-0.91-rc3.tar.gz
>
> yeah, this needs to be Apache-SizeLimit, as philip already mentioned.

Yeah, and I noticed the MAINTAINER_BUILDING_RELEASE magic only too late.

Apache-SizeLimit-0.91-rc4.tar.gz forthcoming.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC2 (and Apache-SizeLimit 0.91-RC3)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> This release is basically exactly the same as RC1 with the exception that
> it includes Apache-SizeLimit RC3 (both to be released simultaneously once
> the RCs are golden)
>
> Grab them here:
>  http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/mod_perl-1.30-rc2.tar.gz
In the below chart, +1 means this:
All tests successful, 8 tests skipped.
Files=37, Tests=405,  5 wallclock secs ( 3.02 cusr +  0.62 csys =  3.64 CPU)

FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
gcc 3.4.6

5.6.2   PASS
5.8.1   PASS
5.8.2   PASS
5.8.3   PASS
5.8.4   PASS
5.8.5   PASS
5.8.6   PASS
5.8.7   PASS
5.8.8   PASS

+1

>  http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/Apache2-SizeLimit-0.91-rc3.tar.gz
-1

Gozer, this should be Apache-SizeLimit-X.tar.gz, for historical yada yada.
(Note the lack of a 2)

http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Apache-SizeLimit-0.9

3/4. Configure
      MAINTAINER_BUILDING_RELEASE=1 perl Makefile.PL

et al, was added in 0.91 to account for this by me, I can back merge
this if you want --

I'm not sure how Dave R. rolled .9,
you might just need to make sure you didn't accidentally pick up mp2
during the perl Makefile.PL

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
> it also might make sense to slide 1.28 and 1.29 over to /old on the dist
> page.  I know we generally keep a few back versions visible there, but
> in this case I think breaking that guideline is desirable.
+1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> +1.  I tried my application's test suite on mod_perl built from this
> source and everything passed.  Looks good.

by my count, that's +1 votes from

  perrin
  philip
  philippe
  geoff

which meets the 3 +1 vote from pmc members required for a release.  as
such, philippe will be transforming the release candidates into official
releases this afternoon.

the official release announcement should include the verbiage perrin
wrote, which can be found in the HEADER.html file at
http://perl.apache.org/dist/.  above the Changes listing I'd think.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1.  I tried my application's test suite on mod_perl built from this
source and everything passed.  Looks good.

- Perrin

[RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC2 (and Apache-SizeLimit 0.91-RC3)

Posted by Nikolay Ananiev <an...@thegdb.com>.

"Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@apache.org> wrote in message
> The mod_perl 1.30 release candidate #1 has arrived. It can be
> downloaded here:
>[...]

begin 666 mp1_cygwin.patch
M26YD97@Z(&%P86-I+V-O;F9I9W5R90H]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
M"BTM+2!A<&%C:2]C;VYF:6=U<F4)*')E=FES:6]N(#4R,C,V,2D**RLK(&%P
M86-I+V-O;F9I9W5R90DH=V]R:VEN9R!C;W!Y*0I 0" M,C(L-R K,C(L,3D@
M0$ *(&UY7W-O=7)C961I<CTB+BXO<W)C+VUO9'5L97,O<&5R;"(*(&UY7W-O
M=7)C969I;&5S/2)@+B]F:6YD7W-O=7)C96 B"B!M>5]T>7!E;6%P9&ER/2(N
M+B]!<&%C:&4B"BMM>5]S;V5X=#TB(@HK;7E?;W,]8'5N86UE8 H@"BMC87-E
M("1M>5]O<R!I;@HK(" @($-91U=)3BHI"BL@(" @(" @(&UY7W-O97AT/2)D
M;&PB"BL@(" @.SL**R @(" **R @(" J*0HK(" @(" @("!M>5]S;V5X=#TB
M<V\B"BL@(" @.SL**V5S86,**PH@(R @(&9I;F0@05!84PH@;7E?87!X<STB
M(@H@3TE&4STD2493($E&4STG.B<*0$ @+3DT+#<@*S$P-BPW($! "B!E8VAO
M(")!4%]#1DQ!1U,]+41-3T1?4$523" D;7E?87!X<U]C9FQA9W,B(#X^)&UY
M7VUA:V5F:6QE8V]N9@H@96-H;R B24Y#3%5$15,])&UY7V%P>'-?:6YC;'5D
M97,B(#X^)&UY7VUA:V5F:6QE8V]N9@H@96-H;R B4D%.3$E"/7)A;FQI8B(@
M/CXD;7E?;6%K969I;&5C;VYF"BUE8VAO("),24)%6%0]<V\B(#X^)&UY7VUA
M:V5F:6QE8V]N9@HK96-H;R B3$E"15A4/21M>5]S;V5X="(@/CXD;7E?;6%K
M969I;&5C;VYF"B!E8VAO(")!4$%#2$5%6%0])&UY7V%P>'-?<V]U<F-E9&ER
M+W-R8R(@/CXD;7E?;6%K969I;&5C;VYF"B!E8VAO(")!4$%#2$5,24)%6$5#
M/21M>5]A<'AS7VQI8F5X96,B(#X^)&UY7VUA:V5F:6QE8V]N9@H@96-H;R B
M0D%314585#UM;V1?<&5R;"(@/CXD;7E?;6%K969I;&5C;VYF"DEN9&5X.B!A
M<&%C:2]-86ME9FEL92YT;7!L"CT]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T*+2TM
M(&%P86-I+TUA:V5F:6QE+G1M<&P)*')E=FES:6]N(#4R,C,V,2D**RLK(&%P
M86-I+TUA:V5F:6QE+G1M<&P)*'=O<FMI;F<@8V]P>2D*0$ @+34V+#<@*S4V
M+#<@0$ *( DD*$U07T%2*2!C<G8@)$ @)"A-4%]/0DI3*0H@"20H35!?4D%.
M3$E"*2 D0 H@"BUL:6)P97)L+G-O.B D*$U07T]"2E-?4$E#*0HK;&EB<&5R
M;"XD*$Q)0D585"DZ("0H35!?3T)*4U]024,I"B ))"A-4%]232D@)$ *( DD
M*$U07TQ$*2 D*$U07TQ$1DQ!1U-?4TA,24(I("UO("1 ("0H35!?3T)*4U]0
M24,I("0H35!?3$E"4RD*( I 0" M.30L-R K.30L-R! 0 H@"B C(" @1D]2
M(%-404Y$+4%,3TY%($)524Q$24Y'($].3%D*(&EN<W1A;&PZ"BT))"A!4%A3
M*2 M:2 M82 M;B!P97)L(&QI8G!E<FPN<V\**PDD*$%06%,I("UI("UA("UN
M('!E<FP@;&EB<&5R;"XD*$Q)0D585"D*( H@9&5P96YD.@H@"6-P($UA:V5F
M:6QE+G1M<&P@36%K969I;&4N=&UP;"YB86L@7 I);F1E>#H@87!A8VDO;6]D
M7W!E<FPN8V]N9FEG+G-H"CT]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]
M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T*+2TM(&%P
M86-I+VUO9%]P97)L+F-O;F9I9RYS: DH<F5V:7-I;VX@-3(R,S8Q*0HK*RL@
M87!A8VDO;6]D7W!E<FPN8V]N9FEG+G-H"2AW;W)K:6YG(&-O<'DI"D! ("TQ
M,S$L-B K,3,Q+#$Q($! "B )97-A8PH@(" @( EP97)L7VQD9&QF;&%G<STB
M)'!E<FQ?;&1D;&9L86=S("183$E.2T52+6)).EPD*$%004-(14Q)0D5814,I
M+VAT='!D+F5X<"(*( D[.PHK(" @( HK(" @(&-Y9W=I;BHI"BL)<&5R;%]L
M9#TB9V-C("US:&%R960B"BL).SL**PD*(" @(" J("D@(" @.SL*(&5S86,*
M( I 0" M,34T+#8@*S$U.2PQ."! 0 H@(" @('T*('T*( HK(R!A9&0@:'1T
M<&0N9&QL(&9O<B!C>6=W:6X**VEF*"1!4D=66S!=(&5Q("=$4T\G("8F("1>
M3R!E<2!C>6=W:6XI('L**R @("!C:&]M<" D;&1O<'1S.PHK(" @("1L9&]P
M=',@+CT@:F]I;B H)R G+" G)RP@"BL@(" @(" @("<M5VPL+2UO=70M:6UP
M;&EB/6QI8G!E<FPN9&QL+F$G+ HK(" @(" @(" G+5=L+"TM97AP;W)T+6%L
M;"US>6UB;VQS)RP**R @(" @(" @)RU7;"PM+65N86)L92UA=71O+6EM<&]R
M="<L"BL@(" @(" @("<M5VPL+2US=&%C:RPX,S@X-C X)RP**R @(" @(" @
M)RU7;"PM+65N86)L92UA=71O+6EM86=E+6)A<V4G+ HK(" @(" @(" G+6QH
M='1P9"<I.PHK?0HK"B!P<FEN=" D;&1O<'1S.PH@14]4"B!P97)L7VQI8G,]
G(F D<&5R;%]I;G1E<G @)'1M<&9I;&4R("1B=6EL9%]T>7!E8"(*
`
end

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>>   o follow the Apache-Test lead and release a separate Apache-SizeLimit
>> distribution to CPAN for each mp1 and/or mp2 release
>
> In the end this was going to be the case as I forsee it.
>
>>   o yank the svn link and replace with static files representing the
>> current state of things on CPAN
>
> I think for 1.30 we probably should unless we can also release this by
> say Tuesday.  Then I can pull it back in for 1.31.
>
> I think about today and make a final decision tonight PDT but likely
> I'll look into rolling it back for now.

yeah, ok, let's do that.  it's simplest.

but I don't think this release should linger for very long.

let's aim to get this out very soon.  tomorrow would be great :)

--Geoff

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
>   o follow the Apache-Test lead and release a separate Apache-SizeLimit
> distribution to CPAN for each mp1 and/or mp2 release
In the end this was going to be the case as I forsee it.

>   o yank the svn link and replace with static files representing the
> current state of things on CPAN
I think for 1.30 we probably should unless we can also release this by
say Tuesday.  Then I can pull it back in for 1.31.

I think about today and make a final decision tonight PDT but likely
I'll look into rolling it back for now.

> I feel like you've done most of the work on A-SL, so you're in the best
> position to judge which path we should take, based on the state of
> current svn code.  meaning, if you deem it stable then I think we're
> fine, but if it's in the middle of some grand migration experiment you
> haven't had time to finish then we probably ought to back it out.
The import and hybridization work would make that true.  I'm kind of
sure its done, but I like my security releases to be just that security
fixes only.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>> The mod_perl 1.30 release candidate #1 has arrived. It can be
>> downloaded here:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/mod_perl-1.30-rc1.tar.gz
>>
>> MD5 : 639e045d782a667111146a70b7948dfa
>> SHA1: 942eaffe4570a9060b3a0ed7de52ac902d054cbb
>

>> Pull in the new Apache-SizeLimit from
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/Apache-SizeLimit/trunk
>> and obsolete the previous lib/Apache/SizeLimit.pm.
>> [Philip M. Gollucci]
>
> So this is currently an UnReleased version of Apache-SizeLimit.
> Is everyone okay with its current state and that its unreleased ?

we should probably either:

  o follow the Apache-Test lead and release a separate Apache-SizeLimit
distribution to CPAN for each mp1 and/or mp2 release

or

  o yank the svn link and replace with static files representing the
current state of things on CPAN

I feel like you've done most of the work on A-SL, so you're in the best
position to judge which path we should take, based on the state of
current svn code.  meaning, if you deem it stable then I think we're
fine, but if it's in the middle of some grand migration experiment you
haven't had time to finish then we probably ought to back it out.

if we weren't in need of a security release asap then we'd probably have
time to make it right.  but I think we need to make a decision based on
what we have in svn now with very minimal changes (or rollback to CPAN)

make sense?

--Geoff

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] mod_perl-1.30 RC1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.