Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Magnus Evensberget <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/11 12:50:20 UTC

A way to choose papertray on the printer (like WordMLs paperTray tag)

Hey,

I'm currently working on a way to move from WordML to PdfBox merging for
managing exports of products. In word we use the paperTray tag to choose if
we want red, blue or grey papers (different categories of products). It is
important that this goes fast, as we send out a large amount of these
certificates each day.

We plan on creating a simple viewer if this cannot be done more elegantly
with tags that tell Adobe where to print, but we would of course like it to
just be a meta tag in the pdf :)

Hope someone can help,

Thanks,
Magnus Evensberget

Re: A way to choose papertray on the printer (like WordMLs paperTray tag)

Posted by Hannes Erven <ha...@erven.at>.
Hi Magnus,

while I cannot conment on whether there's something PDFbox could do, I'd like to suggest an alternative solution:

Setup up multiple "printers", all pointing to the same real printer, but with different default settings.
So you'd end up with "printer42_bluetray", "printer42_redtray" and so on, which can be easily refered to when queuing the actual print job.
This even works on shared network printers, just set the desired tray settings on the server.

I've done this on windows, but I guess the trick would work on any operating system.

Best regards,

-hannes