Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tony Stocker <ak...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/26 23:38:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Is there a how-to for building an Apacher server farm?

Hello,

I've spent the better part of the afternoon Googling for a decent how-to on
how one goes about creating a web server farm.  There are tons of documents
that refer to the concept as an accepted practice, but I can't find anything
that discusses how one goes about creating one.  My basic goal is to create
a server farm that balances load among n servers, and creates fault
tolerance because as long as (n - (n-1) ) servers are up then my web site(s)
are available.  This seems to be a basic concept and one that's been around
for a long time, but even in the Apache mailing list archives I can't find
anything applicable.

Thanks muchly!

Tony

Re: [users@httpd] Is there a how-to for building an Apacher server farm?

Posted by dnk <ma...@backbonetechnology.com>.
I myself have not set one up, but from the casual reading it "seems"
fairly straight forward.

Multiple apache machines with the web content in sync...  then setup
round robin dns.

There might be (and probably is) more involved, but it might be a start?

Dustin

[users@httpd] Re: Is there a how-to for building an Apacher server farm?

Posted by Tony Stocker <ak...@gmail.com>.
All,

Thanks to Richard, Victor and Dustin for the pointers.  I'm going to check
out load balancers and the round-robin DNS aspects.  Probably be back with
more specific Apache questions in the future!  Thanks for the help!

Tony

Posted by Victor Trac <vi...@gmail.com>.
Another alternative to the hardware load balancer is to build a Linux
Virtual Server - http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/.  Linux Enterprise
Cluster<http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=clemsontalkco-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1593270364&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr>is
a good book, guiding you how to build this from scratch.

-Victor

http://www.victortrac.com

Re: [users@httpd] Is there a how-to for building an Apacher server farm?

Posted by Richard de Vries <ri...@yahoo.com>.