Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Achmetow (Google)" <ac...@googlemail.com> on 2012/04/04 00:20:16 UTC

GSoC - Refactoring IndexWriter

Hi,

I am a student from Germany and would like to contribute to the ASF Lucene project.

In the ideas list I have found the following interesting project: Refactoring IndexWriter
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2026)

Now I have some questions to this project:

1. Exist unit tests for this code (IndexWriter.java)?
2. Where I can find the code/software btw. component? (svn, git etc.)
3. Which IDE I can use for this project? Your Suggestions (Eclipse)?
4. What's about coding style guides in the ASF?

Thanks and Greetings

Tim

Re: GSoC - Refactoring IndexWriter

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Tim, great to have you!
to begin with make sure you read this:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/SummerOfCode2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Achmetow (Google)
<ac...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student from Germany and would like to contribute to the ASF Lucene
> project.

great! I am excited!

> In the ideas list I have found the following interesting project:
> Refactoring IndexWriter
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2026)
>
> Now I have some questions to this project:
>
> 1. Exist unit tests for this code (IndexWriter.java)?

Yeah we have multiple test for IndexWriter (IW in short) the are all
basically in /lucene/core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index

there is a bunch of them but those are only the test that test the IW
directly. Lots of other tests are involved. Whatever you do you should
run all core tests. The one with NRT and Threads in the name are the
most evil :)

simonw$ find . -name TestIndexWriter*
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriter.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterCommit.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterConfig.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterDelete.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterExceptions.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterForceMerge.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterLockRelease.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterMergePolicy.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterMerging.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterNRTIsCurrent.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterOnDiskFull.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterOnJRECrash.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterReader.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterUnicode.java
./core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterWithThreads.java

> 2. Where I can find the code/software btw. component? (svn, git etc.)

here is a good guideline for getting started
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute

> 3. Which IDE I can use for this project? Your Suggestions (Eclipse)?

I use Eclipse, but you can use the tool you like / know
> 4. What's about coding style guides in the ASF?

We have a code style in lucene which basically follows the sun
guidelines. I think there are templates for eclipse and intellij on
the contribution wiki.

hope that gets you started!

simon