Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> on 2018/12/01 13:21:17 UTC

Re: Using mail list or Issues management (e.g., Github, or JIRA) forsource code discussion?

Hi

There is no absolute way. In Apache, "if it didn't happen on-list, it didn't happen.". Definitely YES.
At the same time, you could choose to use GitHub issues to do bug report or feature discussions, like SkyWalking[1] did.
That is because, all issue comments are archived in mail list already, such as skywalking's notifications@s.a.o[2]

My point is, the community could choose. JIRA, GitHub issue or dev ml. My only suggestion is, don't use JIRA and GitHub issue at the same time,
to avoid confusing people.

Hypothesize your discussion in GitHub issue, dev ml is still needed, when you do release, you will need it. So if some important notification needs to be
shared in the community, you could choose both GitHub issue and dev ml.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/issues?q=is%3Aissue+label%3Aquestion+is%3Aclosed
[2] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?notifications@skywalking.apache.org

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin
Twitter, wusheng1108

From:  "Xiangdong Huang"<sa...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Sat, Dec 1, 2018 09:10 PM
To:  "dev"<de...@iotdb.apache.org>;

Subject:  Using mail list or Issues management (e.g., Github, or JIRA) forsource code discussion?

Hi,

When we host our source codes on Github, we can use the `issues` pages to
manage all the issues -- not only the bugs, but also new features that we
want to implement.  Then, when we submit a Pull Request, the PR can link a
corresponding issue easily.

But, as Apache says "if it didn't happen on-list, it didn't happen.", I
would like to know which type of discussions should appear in the mail
list, and when to use Github's issue management (or JIRA) is better?

By the way, I don't find any tool which can sync github's issues with  mail
list automatically. :(

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University