Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/23 03:33:29 UTC

usefull manuals

hi...

    Does anyone know some useful manuals to learn more
about Ant??  bacause, manuals that come with the
binary version, are not good enough. Some where to
find full project examples to a novice like me.

  Thanks in advance.

Vicente Edgar S�nchez Lara
M�xico.

=====

"Puedes sentirte desilusionado si fallas, pero est�s condenado si no lo intentas."

"You can get disappointed if you fail down, but you are doomed if you do not try it."

ICQ #  22338121

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: usefull manuals

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> In what way are the manuals not good enough? If you don't tell us that they
> will never become good enough.

The manuals are very good. But they could use more examples. And in structure
and coherency of presentation, the very similar project DocBook is a bit ahead
of Ant (of course, it's an older project). (I mean similar in terms of documentation
needs and style.)

Ant is a very nice tool. I have a lot of faith in your project and have converted
our main project at PureMatrix over to Ant from Make. Keep up the good work.

--
Jack J. Woehr     # "I never worry that all hell will break loose.
Senior Consultant #  I worry that half hell will break loose, which

Re: Making Jumps or doing Loops!!

Posted by Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com>.
  Thanks Diane!! :-)

--- Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, I'd take advantage of some of the new
> stuff available in 1.4
> (finally found some time to pick it up and start
> trying things out :) --
> namely, the new "inheritAll" attr for <antcall> and
> the new <condition>
> task, in conjunction with <propertyfile>'s
> incrementing functionality. For
> example:
>
>   <property name="maxCount" value="10"/>
>
>   <target name="doWhile">
>     <propertyfile file="counter.properties">
>       <entry key="counter" type="int"
> operation="+"/>
>     </propertyfile>
>     <property file="counter.properties"/>
>     <condition property="loopDone">
>       <equals arg1="${counter}" arg2="${maxCount}"/>
>     </condition>
>     <antcall target="doit"/>
>   </target>
>
>   <target name="doit" unless="loopDone">
>     <echo message="Do stuff here..."/>
>     <antcall target="doWhile" inheritAll="no"/>
>   </target>
>
> will "Do stuff here" 9 times (it's not zero-based :)
>  [Note: Make sure
> something removes counter.properties before the
> "doit" target gets run.]
>
> Diane
>
> --- Don Taylor <do...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >   Thanks Don
> > >
> > >     just a question.
> > >    When you put the sample of the counter the
> "."
> > > after the counter means that the value will
> increment
> > > in one??
> >
> > Not the value, the property name. I'm creating a
> series of properties:
> >
> > counter
> > counter.
> > counter..
> > counter...
> >
> > The value is whatever.
> >
> > -- Don
> >
> > >    <property name="${counter}." value="whatever"
> />
> > >   or how do I increment in one the variable
> value of
> > > my counter?
> > >
> > >   Thanks again
> > > VES
> > >

> > > --- Don Taylor <do...@yahoo.com>

> the
> make some
> with

> you to
> of

> order
> procedure or

> until
> itself,
> each

> on

> tried
> like

> value="whatever" />

> pero

> but

> $.04/minute

=== message truncated ===

=====

http://im.yahoo.com

Re: Making Jumps or doing Loops!!

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: Making Jumps or doing Loops!!

Posted by Don Taylor <do...@yahoo.com>.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: Making Jumps or doing Loops!!

Posted by Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com>.
  Thanks Don

=====

Posted by Don Taylor <do...@yahoo.com>.
--- Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Hi everyone is Vincent again...
>
>     now I've 2 questions, well those are for the same
> reason..
>   I was wondering if here in Ant could I make some
> jumps in order to repeat the same procedure with other
> caracteristics,

Yes, check out the antcall task. This allows you to execute the
same target multiple times with different sets of "inputs".

or if I can use loops like For or
> While to do the same, keeping a counter in order to
> make conditions to execute the same procedure or same
> target with diferent actions.
>
>   Is it possible?

When looping, you have to create a "kick-out" condition. I used the
target's unless attribute. The idea is to loop until the property is
set. However, because a target can't antcall itself, you have to
replicate the target and have them cross-call each other:

<target name="worker">
  <!-- This does the actual work. May depend on other workers. -->
</target>

<target name="looper_1" depends="worker" unless="some.condition">
  <antcall target="looper_2"/>
</target>

<target name="looper_2" depends="worker" unless="some.condition">
  <antcall target="looper_1"/>
</target>

This takes care of while loops. I've never tried implementing a for
loop in Ant. I suppose you could do something like the following
in the worker target:

<property name="counter" value="counter" />

<target name="worker">
  <property name="${counter}." value="whatever" />
</target>

Then if you wanted to loop 3 times:

<target name="looper_1" depends="worker" unless="counter...">
  <antcall target="looper_2"/>
</target>

<target name="looper_2" depends="worker" unless="counter...">
  <antcall target="looper_1"/>
</target>

-- Don

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Making Jumps or doing Loops!!

Posted by Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com>.
  Hi everyone is Vincent again...

    now I've 2 questions, well those are for the same
reason..
  I was wondering if here in Ant could I make some
jumps in order to repeat the same procedure with other
caracteristics, or if I can use loops like For or

RE: usefull manuals

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Vicente,

> From: Edgar Sanchez [mailto:vesanchez@yahoo.com]
>
>   Hi Conor...
>
>   Yes, you are right. I forgot that you make the
> manuals. Since I've been working with all Microsoft
> technology I got used to their documentation.
>
>   Hope my comments do not boder any one.

No, not at all. The only way to improve our manuals is to get this sort of
feedback. You are also welcome to change the documentation and send patches
to change it. Not everyone's idea of fun, but it is possible.

> see you soon
> Vicente

The best examples are real ones. Checkout all these projects for their build
files
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/

You'll have to navigate around a bit to get to the build files for these
projects.

Conor

RE: usefull manuals

Posted by Edgar S�nchez <ve...@yahoo.com>.
  Hi Conor...

  Yes, you are right. I forgot that you make the
manuals. Since I've been working with all Microsoft
technology I got used to their documentation.

  Well the manuals could have more samples, as I was
saying with basic but complete projects, for each
subject, for example the part that you talk about the
Classpath, or the properties when the user send them
from the command line at the moment of the build
execution. Those are some samples. In all the manuals
from their development tools like VB, if you go an
look for a function, its shows you how to use it, and
give you a sample that can be copy-pasted into your
working area to test, in order to understand the
functionality of the function.

--- Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>

=====

RE: usefull manuals