Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michele Neylon -Blacknight Solutions <in...@blacknight-solutions.com> on 2002/07/25 19:31:53 UTC

Tomcat 4, mod_jk, Apache 1.3.20

Hi all,
I've been trying to configure Tomcat 4.0.4 with Apache 1.3.20 using mod_jk
on a Cobalt RAQ4.
The problem seems to be in my virtual hosts declarations in server.xml
Does anybody have an example of a server.xml configured for virtual hosts
on Linux?
At the moment:
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com/test.jsp
does not work, though
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com/examples/jsp/
does.
Tomcat is running quite happily on port 8080 :
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com:8080
I've already looked at:
http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-4-unix.xml
but am still having problems

Thanks for your time!

Mr. Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions - affordable linux hosting
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com/

believed to be clean.

RE: Tomcat 4, mod_jk, Apache 1.3.20

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@msn.com>.
Hmm, I see a few problems below

Did you delete your HTTP Connector on purpose ?  You should eventually
do that, but while your setting it up, I would keep it for testing
purposes.
    <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
                />

>      <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
>              name="Apache"
>              defaultHost="ns.blacknightsolutions.com"
>              debug="0"
>              appBase="webapps">

Your Engine setup looks all wrong.  You probably shouldn't specify the
className, that way it will use the default className.  The WARPEngine
(bad name in my opinion) is a connector to Apache, not an Engine class.
If you were going to specify the className  it should be
"org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine".  Your defaultHost MUST point
to an existing nested host element.  I don't see
ns.blacknightsolutions.com.

I got all the info here ->
http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/config/engine.html

When configuring Tomcat, always make sure you can access your files on
the 8080 port

Posted by Michele Neylon -Blacknight Solutions <in...@blacknight-solutions.com>.
> [...]

This is part of my problem! It's not in the ROOT directory, but in a
virtual host.

>Can you get to it by typing http://www.blacknightsolutions:8080/test.jsp
>?

No. With a previous configuration I could get to the Tomcat welcome page at:
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com:8080
I have since tried a different configuration, but although a copy of the
JSP examples (copied from the Tomcat/webapps/examples directory) is
accessible at:
http://www.blacknightsolutions.com/examples/jsp/
nothing else involving Java is viewable and some of the examples aren't
working either :-(

Tomcat seems to be intercepting requests for all .jsp pages, but doesn't
seem to be mapping them correctly..

>(I couldn't get to any blacknight site)
>
>As to your question about a searchable archive,

I'll try them - thanks!

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@msn.com>.