Posted to users@camel.apache.org by AbhishekSamuel <ab...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/18 17:21:58 UTC

FTP Concurrency - Single threaded or not

Hi,

Am aware that the ftp component does not support concurrency, that is
multiple files cannot be downloaded at the same time, as it is single
threaded. So does adding the threads method after the ftp comonent have no
effect ?

For example while configuring a route like below

from(ftp Source).routeId("name").threads(3).to(destination).bean().end()

if i have 10 files at the ftp location, i understand each one will be picked
one at a time, but is it going to remain a single thread right up to the end
for each file picked up ? I put thread sleep function in the bean method for
the first file picked up.. but the next file is not being picked up until
the first file is completely processed.

So when we say it is single threaded, does it mean from start to finish of
the route ? If not, could you please help me understand where i am making
the mistake ?

Thanks
Abhishek Samuel

Could you please help me to understand whats going on in the background ?
and if there is anyways o

Re: FTP Concurrency - Single threaded or not

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
The route execution in this case is only single threaded until it comes to
the "threads(3)" point. Afterwards you have three threads where each is
processing one file.

And I cannot tell you what's wrong in your setup because you didn't share
the important parts. At [1] we mention what kind of information you should
provide. And in this case, also your bean implementation and how your
measure that the files are not processed concurrently.

[1] http://camel.apache.org/support.html

Best,
Christian