Posted to user@spark.apache.org by "angela.whelan" <an...@synchronoss.com> on 2016/01/13 12:37:08 UTC

Is it possible to use SparkSQL JDBC ThriftServer without Hive

hi,
I'm wondering if it is possible to use the SparkSQL JDBC ThriftServer
without Hive?

The reason I'm asking is that we are unsure about the speed of Hive with
SparkSQL JDBC connectivity.

I can't find any article online about using SparkSQL JDBC ThriftServer
without Hive.

Many thanks in advance for any help on this.

Thanks, Angela

Re: Is it possible to use SparkSQL JDBC ThriftServer without Hive

Posted by Antonio Piccolboni <an...@piccolboni.info>.
Thriftserver creates a HiveContext hence the hive libs, but you don't need
to have Hive running at all. Depending on what you mean by "without Hive"
that could be a positive or negative answer to your question. You need the
dependencies, but you don't need a running instance.

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.
Sambit - I believe the default Derby-based metastore allows only one active user at a time. You can replace it with MySQL or Postgres.

Using the Hive Metastore enables Spark SQL to be compatible with Hive. If you have an existing Hive setup, you can Spark SQL to process data in your Hive tables.

Mohammed

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.
Hi Angela,