Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andras Laczi <si...@maxxon.hu> on 2007/05/04 13:19:02 UTC

RE: Tomcat deployment question

If someone succeed to deploy an web application trough manager on 5.5.23
tomcat which path is "/" (root ) and the web application directory is not
ROOT please let me know.
It's making me crazy, i migrating from 5.0.16 with working configuration and
on 5.5.23 same conf works a completely different ways.
Andras

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lakshmi,

I just wanted to let you know that in the most recent post on this
thread, your problem was solved (even though I didn't give a complete
answer) but after my post Chuck made some very good points which I
didn't mention in my post. I hope you took a note of them.

Especially this one:

On 5/4/07, Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com> wrote:
> P.s: The documentation is not very clear on these points.   I hope some
> expert out there will update
> Tomcat FAQ.

In most software development the docs take a little while, but in
terms of functionality much has been achieved in the recent versions.

Once the concepts are clear, it is easier to find your way around. But
it's useful to keep in mind that the docs can be a little outdated
when it comes to any software.

-Regards
Rashmi

RE: Tomcat deployment question

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.
Andras,
Please refer to the directory structure posted earlier in this thread.
The only
way I could get my application to work is to have a ROOT.xml inside
${catalina.home}/conf/localhost.  docBase="C:\<Maindir>/app".  This is
outside the
default appBase="webapps" specified in ${catalina.home}/conf/server.xml.
Then I could access my applcation as http://localhost.

Hope this helps,
Lakshmi
P.s: The documentation is not very clear on these points.   I hope some
expert out there will update
Tomcat FAQ.

> If someone succeed to deploy an web application trough manager on
> 5.5.23 tomcat which path is "/" (root ) and the web application
> directory is not ROOT please let me know.
> It's making me crazy, i migrating from 5.0.16 with working
> configuration and on 5.5.23 same conf works a completely different
ways.
> Andras

The closest you'll get to the 5.0.x behaviour is anything.war located
outside the host's appBase and a ROOT.xml pointing towards it.

Mark

RE: Tomcat deployment question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Andras Laczi [mailto:silver@maxxon.hu]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat deployment question
>
> Take it easy man.

Sorry.  The topic of setting the path attribute in a <Context> element
is discussed frequently on this list, including a couple of times on the
very day you posted, as well as previously in this thread.  It's
frustrating when people keep ignoring the discussion.

> How can I know which documentation is up-to-date and which one is not?

By reading the related discussions on the mailing list.  Generally, you
can expect the Tomcat core doc to be more accurate than the ancilliary
pieces, but even the core occasionally lags behind reality.

> My last question: if i upload in ROOT.war manager  will it
> work as the default application in / path?

If I read your question correctly (using manager to deploy ROOT.war),
yes, that will work.  Make sure that the webapps/ROOT directory is
removed first.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Tomcat deployment question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Andras Laczi wrote:
> How can I know which documentation is up-to-date and which one is not?
> They says confusing things, if i read manager doc it works against
> context/host documentation.

They should be consistent and I thought they were last time I checked.
Please point out the inconsistencies so they can be fixed.

Mark

RE: Tomcat deployment question

Posted by Andras Laczi <si...@maxxon.hu>.
Hey, Chuck,

Take it easy man.
How can I know which documentation is up-to-date and which one is not?
They says confusing things, if i read manager doc it works against
context/host documentation.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat deployment question
>>
>> Andras Laczi wrote:
>>> I dont really understand why manager can't rename the context.xml to
>>> ROOT.xml if the path = "/" as the documentation says.
>> Where does the documentation say this?
>
> The section:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/manager-howto.html#Supported%20M
> anager%20Commands
>
> contains this bulleted item:
>
> * path - The context path (including the leading slash) of the web
> application you are dealing with. To select the ROOT web application,
> specify "/".

Found it. One re-write coming up.

Mark

RE: Tomcat deployment question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andras Laczi <si...@maxxon.hu>.
Thats bad cause I need to upload newer releases very often, and trough
manager was the fastest way to do this.
I must rethink the way of development-deployment.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.