Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1997/01/15 04:41:37 UTC

5 forwarded messages on FIN_WAIT_2

Some of the responses I have to back so far on FIN_WAIT_2.

We have people saying that under SunOS and IRIX NO_LINGCLOSE helps, but
there have also been people who have said it doesn't.  So it is looking
like there is definitely something with the lingering_close(), but there
may also be something else.

At tcpdump of what packets are going back and forth during a connection
that ends up in FIN_WAIT_2 could help...

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:29:04 -0700 (MST)
From: David Denney <da...@dimensional.com>
To: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> What OS and version are you using?

SunOS 4.1.4

> Does the problem happen with Apache 1.1.1?

NO.

> What negative results do the connections in FIN_WAIT_2 have on your box?

Crash within a few days.

> What sort of traffic does the server handle?

4/sec on average.

> Try adding "-DNO_LINGCLOSE" to the EXTRA_CFLAGS in the Makefile and
> rebuilding.  Does this help?

No (I did not personally try this, somebody with the
same OS version did, however).

> Do you have a SendBufferSize directive in your config file?

?? Not sure what file you are speaking of.

> Does disabling keepalives ('KeepAlive 0' in the config file) help?

No.

> Do you have any idea what OS and browser the remote systems involved with
> the FIN_WAIT_2s are running?

Appears to be Win95, of course.

> Does replacing the http_main.c from a recent 1.2 beta with the one at
> http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/ap/http_main.c help?

Not tried ... I am running a production server and cannot afford
to have it flake out on me. I have downgraded my main server to
1.1.2 and left my secondary server at 1.2b4 for now; it gets less
traffic and can last long without crashing.

--
David Denney         |            Dimensional Communications              |
daud@dimensional.com |   Shell/SLIP/PPP * $25/mo 28.8Kbps * $50/mo ISDN   |

 protect your freedom, while you still can, finger me for PGP key, use it!

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:09:48 -0500
From: Lee Havemann <le...@hsh.com>
To: "'marcs@znep.com'" <ma...@znep.com>

On Sunday, January 12, 1997 8:31 AM, marcs@znep.com wrote:

>I have gathered the names of everyone I could find who was having trouble
>with connections hanging in FIN_WAIT_2 with Apache 1.2 betas.  The exact
>problem is not known, but if you could answer the below questions we can
>hopefully figure out the problem and fix it.
>
>What OS and version are you using?

BSDI/OS 2.1

>Does the problem happen with Apache 1.1.1?  Please check carefully to
>be sure of your answer; some number of connections in FIN_WAIT_2 are
>normal and are nothing new.  It is when large numbers start appearing that
>they being to cause trouble.

I went from 1.0 (included in the BSDI distribution) to 1.2b4.  In 1.0, there
were maybe a dozen connections in the FIN_WAIT_2 state.  Now we typically
see over 1300

>What negative results do the connections in FIN_WAIT_2 have on your box?
>Are they just something you see hanging around, or do they have a serious
>impact (like crashing your box)?

Haven't had a panic yet, but we put in the BSDI kernel the patch found on
www.apache.org.

>What sort of traffic does the server handle?

40K hits/150Mb a day

>Try adding "-DNO_LINGCLOSE" to the EXTRA_CFLAGS in the Makefile and
>rebuilding.  Does this help?

I will try it and get back to you...

>Do you have a SendBufferSize directive in your config file?

No - would it help?

>Does disabling keepalives ('KeepAlive 0' in the config file) help?

I will let you know.

>Do you have any idea what OS and browser the remote systems involved with
>the FIN_WAIT_2s are running?

No, but I can enable the user agent logs and send you a breakdown if you
want me to...

>Does replacing the http_main.c from a recent 1.2 beta with the one at
>http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/ap/http_main.c help?  (This version is not
>really suitable or desirable for running long term, but for testing
>purposes it should work fine and has many of the changes between 1.1.1 and
>1.2 hacked out.)

As a last resort, I may check that one out too :-)

Thanks,

	-Lee

Lee Havemann, Comp Ops Dir.    HSH Associates      (201) 838-3330
Mailto: lee@hsh.com     Compuserve: 70410,3507     AOL: HSH Assoc
MSN: HSH_Associates     http://www.hsh.com                   ----
        "My employer doesn't pay me enough for my opinions"
          - Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. -

At 11:33 AM 1/12/97 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:

>I have gathered the names of everyone I could find who was having trouble

>with connections hanging in FIN_WAIT_2 with Apache 1.2 betas.  The exact

>problem is not known, but if you could answer the below questions we can

>hopefully figure out the problem and fix it.

>What OS and version are you using?

	Irix 6.2

>Does the problem happen with Apache 1.1.1?  Please check carefully to

>be sure of your answer; some number of connections in FIN_WAIT_2 are

>normal and are nothing new.  It is when large numbers start appearing that

>they being to cause trouble.

	Definately not.

>What negative results do the connections in FIN_WAIT_2 have on your box?

>Are they just something you see hanging around, or do they have a serious

>impact (like crashing your box)?

	1) Gather large amounts of CPU time in interrupt mode, 2) runs low on memory, starts to swap, 3) crashes box due to lack of resources.

>What sort of traffic does the server handle?

	Anything and everything.  Nothing in particular.

>Try adding "-DNO_LINGCLOSE" to the EXTRA_CFLAGS in the Makefile and

>rebuilding.  Does this help?

	Yes.  I have found that it does help.  I think this might do the trick.

>Do you have a SendBufferSize directive in your config file?

	No.

>Does disabling keepalives ('KeepAlive 0' in the config file) help?

	No.

>Do you have any idea what OS and browser the remote systems involved with

>the FIN_WAIT_2s are running?

	Can really tell if it is a specific OS & browser.

>Does replacing the http_main.c from a recent 1.2 beta with the one at

>http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/ap/http_main.c help?  (This version is not

>really suitable or desirable for running long term, but for testing

>purposes it should work fine and has many of the changes between 1.1.1 and

>1.2 hacked out.)

	Have not tried this as the NOLING_CLOSE seems to be working for me.

Hope this helps.

<bold>Bill Nesbitt

</bold>bn@hway.net

Hiway Technologies, Inc.