Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net> on 2006/05/22 10:49:34 UTC

Recommendation for Tomcat web statistics program (AKA log analyzer) ?

I tried to find decent free web statistics program for Tomcat.  (AKA Log
Analyzer).
I'm running standalone Tomcat (without Apache) on Linux.
I would prefer Java solution, but perl/c++/python might be ok.

I googled for 2 hours but I haven't found any Java solution.

Any recommendation?

I know about AwStats. Is anything other worth trying?

I'm sorry about previous post about the same issue which wasn't in
separate thread.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Re: Recommendation for Tomcat web statistics program (AKA log analyzer) ?

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/23/06, Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net> wrote:
> Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> > http://anotheria.net:8180/moskitodemo/
> > However, enough said. Try it out, tell me what you think :-)
> I've got connection refused ;)

yeah, strange, I've installed a fresh new tomcat, changed the port to
8180 and droped the webapp. Over night it stoped.
Try again :-)
Leon

Posted by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/22/06, Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net> wrote:
> Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> > No, I mean things like number of request for each servlet, total
> > number of time this servlet spent processing, number of errors, avg
> > request duration for last 5m,15m,1h,1d,1week... whatever.
> In fact I might become  interested in those information.
> Average/max duration of time for each servlet/JSP.
> Is it possible to get those information?

Yes :-) Since today.

> > you can always write a script which is getting the data and graphing
> > it... The problem is to collect the data :-)
> It seems to me that you are more interested in Loggers (classes which
> does generate log files) than their representation.
> I understand you, me, as developer should be also more interested in those.
>
> > Ok, I see, you are more interested in "who's calling what on my
> > server" and less in "what the f*ck is my server doing".
> In fact, I've just started my server and Awstats shows me who is calling
> what on my server. It could take less memory, I don't like because it
> use  CGI (potential security issues?) but it works :), and it is usable.
>
> At some point I might be more interested in "what the f*ck is my server
> doing".
> (for example : the response is slow).
>
> Off course I might write my own loggers and trace duration time, but it
> might be good idea to ask:
> Is there any generic tool to use to find out "what the f*ck is my server
> doing"?

Glad you asked :-) In fact I've built some of such monitoring systems
over the years. I was always surprised, that there is no default
monitoring toolkit in the java world. I don't mean logging, logging is
simple. But to log something, you first have to produce the data, and
besides JVM Monitoring data from BEA's jrockit there isn't much out
there for production systems. So I decided to write one. You may be
the first to try it :-)
I've put a little demo under:
http://anotheria.net:8180/moskitodemo/
It's pretty simple, one monitored servlet, klick on the "make a
request" link (as often as you wish of course). On each click it will
sleep some time (emulating working) or throw an exception (emulating
error condition). You can view the stats for 1,5,15 minutes, 1 hour, 1
day or since start of the server (or whatever interval the servlet
designer configured).

A note on the stats generation: The stats are interval stats. That
means, that the 5 minute value isn't the value of the last 5 minutes,
but the value of the last 5 minutes interval update. To illustrate
this, following example:
The server is started at 12:00. You are checking at 12:03 the 5 minute
stats. What will you see? Nothing, since no 5 minute intervals are
completed yet.
If you'll check again at 12:07 you will see the stats gathered between
12:00 and 12:05. After 12:10 you will see the stats between 12:05 and
12:10. And so on. This is imho the only way to generate comparable
stats. If your server is slow today, you want to compare a 5 minute
value to the one from yesterday, not a 3 minute value to 5 minute
value and such.

regards

Posted by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.