Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Knut-Håvard Aksnes <kh...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/31 20:30:50 UTC

Deployment blues

I am using geronimo 2.1.6 with jetty on Microsoft Platform using Java 1.6

My probem is that deployment fails with little description on whats wrong.
The problem seems to be annotation related but unfortunately that doesn't
help me that much as nearly all my code in this project is heavily
annotated: The ear I try to deploy contains two web services implemented as
JAX-WS stateless session beans, most of the  business logic is implemented
in a number of JPA entities, one method is invoking a remote web service.
The web services have some fairly complex arguments so there are a JAXB
component here too with JAXB classes generated from XSD descriptions.

I am mainly looking for more descriptive error messages. The messages I get
during deployment is shown below

2010-08-31 20:02:48,903 ERROR [Deployer] Deployment failed due to
java.lang.ArrayStoreException:
sun.reflect.annotation.TypeNotPresentExceptionProxy
    at
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationParser.parseClassArray(AnnotationParser.java:653)
    at
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationParser.parseArray(AnnotationParser.java:460)
    at
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationParser.parseMemberValue(AnnotationParser.java:286)
    at
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationParser.parseAnnotation(AnnotationParser.java:222)
    at
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationParser.parseAnnotations2(AnnotationParser.java:69)
    at
sun.reflect.annotation.AnnotationParser.parseAnnotations(AnnotationParser.java:52)
    at java.lang.Class.initAnnotationsIfNecessary(Class.java:3070)
    at java.lang.Class.getAnnotation(Class.java:3029)
    at java.lang.Class.isAnnotationPresent(Class.java:3042)
    at
org.apache.xbean.finder.ClassFinder.findAnnotatedClasses(ClassFinder.java:241)
    at
org.apache.openejb.config.AnnotationDeployer$DiscoverAnnotatedBeans.deploy(AnnotationDeployer.java:332)
    at
org.apache.openejb.config.AnnotationDeployer$DiscoverAnnotatedBeans.deploy(AnnotationDeployer.java:223)
    at
org.apache.openejb.config.AnnotationDeployer.deploy(AnnotationDeployer.java:167)
    at
org.apache.openejb.config.ConfigurationFactory$Chain.deploy(ConfigurationFactory.java:152)
    at
org.apache.openejb.config.ConfigurationFactory.configureApplication(ConfigurationFactory.java:456)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.configureApplication(EjbModuleBuilder.java:641)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.getEjbJarInfo(EjbModuleBuilder.java:578)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.openejb.deployment.EjbModuleBuilder.initContext(EjbModuleBuilder.java:500)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(EARConfigBuilder.java:595)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:256)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:135)
    at
    at
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:239)
    at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.KernelGBean.invoke(KernelGBean.java:342)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor102.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:239)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.system.jmx.MBeanGBeanBridge.invoke(MBeanGBeanBridge.java:172)
    at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
    at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1427)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1265)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1367)
    at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor81.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
    at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
    at
    at
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: Deployment blues

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 31, 2010, at 8:01 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> On 8/31/2010 5:09 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I haven't looked into what is going on here in detail but I suspect some annotation or annotation related class is missing.  The code throwing the exception is part of the jvm so I'm afraid we aren't likely to be able to come up with a directly better exception, but it might be possible to provide more context information in xbean finder about what was being tried when the exception was thrown.
>
> Unfortunately, from the stack trace it would appear that this is a result of the reflection code populating the set of annotations for the class the first time an annotation request is made using getAnnotation().  I suspect any call to getAnnotation() would trigger the same exception, so there's probably no additional value to knowing what the getAnnotation() request is.

Pretty much agree. However, seems like knowing the Classes involved, would at least narrow the search at little bit...

So, Knut, your .ear is almost definitely missing some classes or a .jar file. The missing classes result in this really poor exception message. Setting a breakpoint or adding some debug code to xbean.finder.ClassFinder might help. But ultimately, you're going to have to review the contents of your .ear. If you post your .ear to a Jira, there's a chance that somebody will take a look at it, but no guarantees.

Re: Deployment blues

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Re: Deployment blues

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.