Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Wyngaard <PW...@compendiabio.com> on 2008/01/09 21:29:32 UTC

New to cocoon - encountered a few roadblocks

Greetings,

I started using cocoon about a week ago, and I am impressed with how
quickly I was able to get up and running with it.

First, I'm running off cocoon 2.2 trunk, as I needed to use the SQL
Transformer, and some combination of documentation and reading mailing
list posts led me in the direction of cocoon-databases-bridge along with
the definition of the data source within a Spring bean.  I struggled
with this for a while, ended up in the debugger, and posted a comment in
Daisy that Grzegorz Kossakowski appears to have incorporated.

I've also encountered a few other roadblocks along the way, and if folks
don't mind, I'd like to start some threads for them.  I have found
workarounds and/or fixes for some of them, but being new to cocoon, I
might be off track.  Regardless, some of these issues may be things that
other people have tried to do, or will try to do in the future.

Also, please let me know if there is a better place within the Cocoon
community to bring these issues up.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: New to cocoon - encountered a few roadblocks

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Romain Slootmaekers pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Peter Wyngaard pisze:
>>

>> Great to hear that!
>>

>> Yep, thanks again for pointing out to me this problem. Just for
>> record, docs for
>> cocoon-databases-bridge are officialy published now:
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/blocks/databases-bridge/1.0/1424_1_1.html
>>

> Wow, I was just looking for it. thx.

A word of caution: cocoon-databases-bridge has not been released yet (which documentation forgets to
mention) so you need to check out Cocoon's sources and compile it yourself.

Release process of bridge is synchronized with a release process of Cocoon 2.2 final which is
scheduled for around the end of Janaury.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: New to cocoon - encountered a few roadblocks

Posted by Romain Slootmaekers <ro...@inuron.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 09.01.2008 15:29, Peter Wyngaard wrote:

> I started using cocoon about a week ago, and I am impressed with how
> quickly I was able to get up and running with it.

Congratulations and good to hear. Usually it's the other way around that
people have hard times to get started and get more productive once they
get to know Cocoon.

> I've also encountered a few other roadblocks along the way, and if folks
> don't mind, I'd like to start some threads for them.  I have found
> workarounds and/or fixes for some of them, but being new to cocoon, I
> might be off track.  Regardless, some of these issues may be things that
> other people have tried to do, or will try to do in the future.

This is definitly appreciated. Also this mailing list is the best forum
within the Cocoon community to bring things like this up. Once they are
"confirmed" they might go into the documentation or filed as issue in Jira.

Joerg