Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by maxSchlein <m_...@hotmail.com> on 2010/01/11 21:04:34 UTC

Text extraction from ms word doc

I was looking for an option for Text extraction from a word doc.

Currently I am using POI; however, when there is a table in the doc, for
each column POI brings back a .  The whitespace analyzer is not filtering
out this character.  So whatever word or phrase that is the last word or
phrase within a table column is not found during searching.  That is, if the
word dog is the only word in a column, a search for the word dog would
return nothing because the word that was indexed was "dog".

I can create a filter to fix this, using Apache's
StringUtils.isAsciiPrintable, but I would rather not.

Any and all help is welcome and thanked.

Re: Text extraction from ms word doc

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
Have you tried antiword?

http://www.winfield.demon.nl/

       karl

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
We could also fix WhitespaceAnalyzer to filter that character out?
(Or you could make your own analyzer to do so...).

You could also try asking on the tika-user list whether Tika has a
solution for mapping "extended" whitespace characters...

Mike