Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com> on 2012/04/26 23:03:30 UTC

Java 7 and Hadoop

Java 7 update 4 has been released.  It is even available for MacOS X from Oracle:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u4-downloads-1591156.html

Java 6 will reach end of life in about 6 months.   After that point, there will be no more public updates from Oracle for Java 6, even security updates.
https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date
You can of course pay them for updates or build your own OpenJDK.

The entire Hadoop ecosystem needs to test against Java 7 JDKs this year.  I will be testing some small clusters of ours with JDK 7 in about a month, and my internal projects will start using Java 7 features shortly after.

See the JDK roadmap:
http://blogs.oracle.com/javaone/resource/java_keynote/slide_15_full_size.gif
https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/moving_java_forward_java_strategy

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com> wrote:
> Java 7 update 4 has been released.  It is even available for MacOS X from Oracle:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u4-downloads-1591156.html
>
> Java 6 will reach end of life in about 6 months.   After that point, there will be no more public updates from Oracle for Java 6, even security updates.
> https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date
> You can of course pay them for updates or build your own OpenJDK.
>
> The entire Hadoop ecosystem needs to test against Java 7 JDKs this year.

Forgot to mention, Apache Bigtop has started an effort here (see BIGTOP-458).

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
For HBase, under https://builds.apache.org/job/HBase-TRUNK/configure, there
is an entry labeled JDK where you can select 'JDK 1.7 (latest)'

I guess it would be similar for hadoop builds.

Cheers

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
This is how we work through this in hadoop-lzo using profiles:
https://github.com/twitter/hadoop-lzo/blob/master/pom.xml#L105

Of course, if we have more than one use for profiles things would get hairy
quickly. FWIW.

Sangjin

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Sandy and I just created a job, will run daily like the current trunk job.

https://builds.apache.org/job/Hadoop-trunk-java7

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Java 7 and Hadoop