Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Eric Beabes <ma...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/21 11:12:19 UTC

Only one Active task in Spark Structured Streaming application

Hello,

My Spark Structured Streaming application was performing well for quite
some time but all of a sudden from today it has slowed down. I noticed in
the Spark UI that the 'No. of Active Tasks' is 1 even though 64 Cores are
available. (Please see the attached image).

I don't believe there's any data skew issue related to partitioning of
data. What could be the reason for this? Please advise. Thanks.

Re: Only one Active task in Spark Structured Streaming application

Posted by Eric Beabes <ma...@gmail.com>.
I see a lot of messages such as this in the Driver log even though this is
not the first batch. Job has been running for more than 3 days....

Jan 21, 2021 @ 17:09:42.484    21/01/21 11:39:34 WARN
state.HDFSBackedStateStoreProvider: The state for version 43405
doesn't exist in loadedMaps. Reading snapshot file and delta files if
needed...Note that this is normal for the first batch of starting
query.
Jan 21, 2021 @ 17:09:16.688    21/01/21 11:39:07 WARN
state.HDFSBackedStateStoreProvider: The state for version 43405
doesn't exist in loadedMaps. Reading snapshot file and delta files if
needed...Note that this is normal for the first batch of starting
query.

Jan 21, 2021 @ 16:09:43.831 21/01/21 10:39:39 WARN
state.HDFSBackedStateStoreProvider: The state for version 43404
Jan 21, 2021 @ 16:09:41.493    21/01/21 10:39:32 WARN
Jan 21, 2021 @ 16:09:41.160    21/01/21 10:39:39 WARN
Jan 21, 2021 @ 16:09:20.265    21/01/21 10:39:19 WARN
Jan 21, 2021 @ 16:09:18.896    21/01/21 10:39:11 WARN
state.HDFSBackedStateStoreProvider: The state for version 43404
doesn't exist in loadedMaps. Reading snapshot file and delta files if
needed...Note that this is normal for the first batch of starting
query.
Jan 21, 2021 @ 15:48:01.850    21/01/21 10:17:53 WARN
common.QueryListener: InputRows: 40543212

Also I see this warning...

21/01/21 12:10:57 WARN internals.AbstractCoordinator: [Consumer
clientId=consumer-1,
groupId=spark-kafka-source-75862e5f-2261-4216-b856-462d24dc6e47-558756072-driver-0]
This member will leave the group because consumer poll timeout has
expired. This means the time between subsequent calls to poll() was
longer than the configured max.poll.interval.ms, which typically
implies that the poll loop is spending too much time processing
messages. You can address this either by increasing
max.poll.interval.ms or by reducing the maximum size of batches
returned in poll() with max.poll.records.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>.
Hi,

Posted by "Lalwani, Jayesh" <jl...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
If you are going aggregations, you need to watermark the data. Depending on what aggrgations you are doing, state might keep accumulating till failure.

From: Eric Beabes <ma...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM
To: Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>
Cc: spark-user <us...@spark.apache.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Only one Active task in Spark Structured Streaming application

Yes. For this particular use case the state size could be big but I doubt if there's a leak. Maybe adding more memory would help.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 5:55 PM Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Is your app accumulating a lot of streaming state? that's one reason something could slow down after a long time. Some memory leak in your app putting GC/memory pressure on the JVM, etc too.

Posted by Eric Beabes <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.