Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Bill Vezey <bi...@vzwebdev.com> on 2006/12/23 19:49:41 UTC

Automatically converting Excel file with XML into Excel file

Greetings,

org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem throws an error at
org.apache.poi.poifs.storage.HeaderBlockReader when it tries to read an
Excel file with xml in it. The header doesn't have the right id, the
_signature value set in HeaderBlockConstants. When you manually open the
document in Excel and explicitly save it as a .xls file in the Save As
dialogue box, then the header has the proper id.

How can this process be automated? Is there some way to do this with VBA
or C# (I am working in a Windows environment), save the code in a .vbs
file or whatever you save and compile C# to, and run the file using
Runtime.getRuntime().exec()?

Thank you for considering this request. I am a java newbie, so please
don't spare the details.

Regards,
Bill