Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/22 01:50:27 UTC

Long arguments to loader functions

Hi,

i'd be grateful if you could help me with this little but quite annoying
detail

When i pass specifications to loadFunc, the string argument in case of wide
input specifications can become quite long
and i would like to break and carry the quoted string argument over on to
the next line. (Pig 0.7.0 ). Sometimes it's as long 7-8 screens (
and that's on a wide monitor already).

i tried regular java syntax like 'A'+'B" as well as standard CONCAT
function, none parses.
E.g. trying using concat with a custom load func

INCREMENTAL = load '$input' using
  com.inadco.ecoadapters.pig.HBaseProtobufLoader(
CONCAT('<long-long-input-spec>', 'long-long-input-spec2'));

causes a parsing error

Error during parsing. Encountered " <IDENTIFIER> "CONCAT "" at line 15,
column 57.
Was expecting one of:
    <QUOTEDSTRING> ...
    ")" ...

it looks like 'using loadFunc()' syntax doesn't even consider use of
expressions for its arguments.

Any workaround for this?

Thank you.
-Dmitriy

Re: Long arguments to loader functions

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
the first version of the patch worked on 0.8

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.