Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/06 10:56:24 UTC

PR Descriptions

Hi all,

I have brought this topic on multiple occasions earlier too on the mailing
list. I sincerely request all the contributors and Committers (including
myself) that we add PR descriptions.

This helps the community understand what the PRs do and abides by the ASF
motto about "Community above Code", many users lands to the PR after
checking change log and having to look at the code to understand the PR is
not ideal. Adding descriptions of "most" of the PRs literally does not take
more than a minute.

We previously had automation around it but we removed because of small
exceptions where the PR title can be self explanatory.

We should not ignore rules (I am talking about PR template that says " ^
Add meaningful description above ". Again it is fine if the PR title is
self explanatory but not otherwise.

Regards,
Kaxil

Re: PR Descriptions

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.
We know the context _right_ now, but future us in 3 months will have
forgotten it all, so things we can do to help us remember what a PR
introduced the better.

(I also personally favour having the "PR description" in the commit
message, not just the PR, that way it's viewable even should we ever
decide to move away from GitHub.)

Re: PR Descriptions

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
I agree we just need to take care of it as reviewers to inform the PR
authors.

Re: PR Descriptions

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
I definitely prefer the  "This commit when merged ..." rule than the
"imperative" one. It's so simple to remember ;).

And yeah - I mostly write the commit messages for the future self :).

And it's best if you describe the context the first time you push the
commit and make a draft PR - then the commit description lands
automatically in the PR description - which is nice. And then - even if
your PR is not yet ready, the context rarely changes - no matter how many
fixup you have on the PR.

Actually now, when I think of it - this is the best sign of a good commit
message: If you did not have to change it when you first pushed the draft
till the moment you merged it, this is a very good commit message.

J.

Re: PR Descriptions

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Re: PR Descriptions