Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> on 2002/10/26 05:31:28 UTC

Accessing the same database with 2 access methods

Hi all,

I'm currently accessing the same database with the embed and xmlrpc
drivers.  I have my Tomcat server running and I can view the content of
the database.

But when I create a collection using the xindice command in local mode
(-l -d) (i.e. using the embed driver) it doesn't appear on my Tomcat
browser (XMLRPC).  However the collection is indeed in the db's physical
folder.

Restarting Tomcat does not solve the problem so I think that collections
are handled somewhat differently when the database is accessed
simultaneously.

I haven't had the time to dig too much the problem but if someone can
give an explanation, it would be great.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: Accessing the same database with 2 access methods

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> Vladimir.. what you've done is wrong..  The database should not be
> accessed simultaneously!!!!!

Well I don't think that it's soo wrong.  I know that it's not common but
apparently I'm not the only one who tried it :-)

Maybe it could be a nice feature to have a "-force" flag for having the
server refresh the database structure before each call.

-Vladimir

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@interdimensions.com>.
Vladimir.. what you've done is wrong..  The database should not be
accessed simultaneously!!!!!

The code does no sort of file-level locking or refresh... most of the
datbase structure might be kept in memory, so though your embedded version
modified the database, the tomcat version ( in memory ) was not updated,
and when you closed the tomcat version, it probably overwrote some global
meta-data which could be why the collection is "gone" after that..

the database should not be accessed simultaneously.. either embedded, or
not.