Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Randy Wiemer <wi...@law.missouri.edu> on 1997/11/20 20:31:57 UTC

os-aix/1441: Apache stops responding - kill -TERM PID leads to zombie must reboot

>Number:         1441
>Category:       os-aix
>Synopsis:       Apache stops responding - kill -TERM PID leads to zombie must reboot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.2.4
>Environment:
RS6000 SP2 4-way 604 with AIX 4.2.1 (was fine with 4.2.0)
Apache 1.2.1 and 1.2.4 have same problem.

uname -a
AIX sp2n13 2 4 00040362A400
AIX 4.2.1 upgraded last Sunday from AIX 4.2.0 with Apache 1.2.1
running reliably for several months.  We needed 4.2.1 to support
a processor upgrade from 4-way 604 to 8-way 604e in two weeks.
Since upgrade Apache stops responding to service page requests
but processes look fine from ps.  Attempting to stop and restart
Apache results in zombie process owned by the account running httpd
holding a lock on port 80 preventing a restart of the httpd daemon.
We switched to Apache 1.2.4 but continue to experience the same
problem.

>How-To-Repeat:
I can't cause it to happen other than it seems load related because the
outages occur during peak usage times.
>Fix:
Even if the outage can't be addressed is there a way to kill the httpd
daemon that doesn't result in the zombie%3