Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Rishay Marajah <ri...@consology.com> on 2006/09/18 16:59:15 UTC

Performance Testing (Embedded Resources)

Hi Guys,

Could some explain me the following:

1.	What is difference between turning embedded resources on and
off?
2.	When I turn embedded resources on certain pages...I get -> "The
pages has temp...moved to"
3.	My testing env =

	a.	Weblogic 8.1 SP4
	b.	Oracle 9i DB
	c.	J2EE Application
	d.	HTTPS protocol

Regards,

Rishay Marajah

QA Developer / Test Analyst / Jmeter Dark Templer

Mobile: +27 84 884 8633

MSN: Rishay@hotmail.com

Direct Line: +27 11 575 1355

Direct Fax: +27 11 576 1355

Consology (Pty) Ltd

www.consology.com

Connect to better Business

The Definition of an Upgrade: Take out old bugs and put new ones in

Re: Performance Testing (Embedded Resources)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18/09/06, Rishay Marajah <ri...@consology.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> Could some explain me the following:
>
> 1.      What is difference between turning embedded resources on and
> off?

See:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP_Request

this describes what the check-box means.

> 2.      When I turn embedded resources on certain pages...I get -> "The
> pages has temp...moved to"

Perhaps one of the embedded resource fetches is returning a redirect.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Just to add that JMeter won't download CSS and gifs/jpegs etc unless
you tell it to:

Either:
- by explicitly downloading them - in which case they will be shown as
separate samples

Or:
- by setting the "embedded" checkbox, in which case they will be shown
as children of the original sample, and the total time for the
original sample will include the times of all its children.

You can see this clearly by using the View Tree Listener.

S.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

RE: TPN POSSIBLE SPAM:RE: Performance Testing (Embedded Resources)

Posted by Alex Turner <Al...@Project-Network.com>.
Rishay,

This is not simple.  If you set an http sampler to load all embedded objects that it should be measuring the entire time as you would want.  However, browsers do it slightly differently.

IE for example will start requesting embedded objects as soon as it has parsed enough of the document to know what it should ask for.  It may ask for the embedded objects in the same thread as the main page or using different threads/sockets, this will depend on how the objects are embedded and if you are using keep-alive or not.

I am not quite so familiar with Firefox, however, I have seen it using multiple threads and it seems to hang onto sockets for keep-alive much longer and IE under some situations.  This can improve performance, but then make mimicking its behavior even more difficult because performance will alter according to how fast the user clicks through the site!

The simple answer is that you will have to carefully observe the traffic between the browser and the server and then work out how best to mimic that using JMeter.  It is never going to be a 'point and click' situation.

Such is life!

AJ

Alexander J Turner Ph.D.
www.deployview.com