Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu> on 2007/06/14 14:14:14 UTC

Trouble With Show Log

Greetings:

I posted yesterday about this but I have much more information today.
First, I have a subversion repository I am responsible for, I recently
switched over from CVS.  My repository has 419 "projects" on the top
level directory.  In each of these project directories I have 3 folders
trunk, branches, and tags.

I have an initial import of the head of my cvsnt repository which
consisted of each project (419 of then) for a total of about 16k files,
these are a mix of html, perl, images, and pdf's.  My repository has
been live about a week, I think we are about r 140 as I type this.  My
revision 1 adds almost all of the 16k files in one import.

I use http as my access method, (mod_dav_svn), my problem is svn log -v
http://machine.domain.com/svn/Access seems to take forever.

Here are some numbers in the format command(time in seconds to complete)

svn log -v http://source.its-is.uni.edu/svn/Access (104) - fs-type = bdb
svn log -v http://source.its-is.uni.edu/svn/AccessFSFS (79) - fs-type = fsfs
svn log -v file:///source/AccessFSFS(1) - fs-type=fsfs

Is this what I should be expecting?  Is there anything I can do to
improve my access times for this operation?  Many of my "clients" use
TortoiseSVN on windows and it times out before the command completes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
troy

Re: Trouble With Show Log

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/07, Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu> wrote:
> Andy Levy wrote:

> >> recently
> >> folders

> >> files,
> >> this.  My

> >> log -v

> >> complete)

> >> = bdb

> >> These numbers were done at the command line of source.its-is.uni.edu so
> >> local on the machine where the repository resides..
> >
> > Please remember to use Reply To All.
> >
> > In this scenario, is it looping back, or is it still making a trip out
> > to the network? Do you have any kind of packet filtering going on?
> >
> > HTTP access is the slowest of the 3 access methods, but that's a
> > *huge* difference which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Someone
> > else suggested directory access controls & if there's a lot or they're
> > particularly complex, that may be taking a performance toll as well.
> There aren't any access controls really, if you have access to the
> repository, you can commit, so valid user is required for access no
> other controls.
>
> I tried svn+ssh and it was really fast too.  I may just switch my
> developers to that, but conceptually I liked the http access methods..

2 more data points here. I logged onto my SVN server and ran svn log
using file:/// and http:// for the same repository as above. file:///
took 7 seconds, http://18 seconds

I think we've eliminated on your system the server CPU/RAM/disk and
your choice of back-end, as things work fine for everything other than
HTTP. And HTTP is pretty fast (by comparison) for me. I'd start
looking at Apache itself, or how your network & server handle HTTP
traffic.

Re: Trouble With Show Log

Posted by Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 6/14/07, Troy Bull <tr...@uni.edu> wrote:
>> Andy Levy wrote:

>> recently
>> folders

>> files,
>> this.  My

>> log -v

>> complete)

>> = bdb

>> > My repository has 1490 revisions, not sure how many files but it's
>> > fewer than yours (log operation speed should depend more on the # of
>> > revisions, not the size of the repository I think) and it took me 15
>> > seconds to get svn log -v on the root of the repository via HTTP. FSFS
>> > backend, SVN 1.2.3 on Apache 2.0.59, Win2K.
>> >
>> > Have you ruled out network problems?
>> These numbers were done at the command line of source.its-is.uni.edu so
>> local on the machine where the repository resides..
>
> Please remember to use Reply To All.
>
> In this scenario, is it looping back, or is it still making a trip out
> to the network? Do you have any kind of packet filtering going on?
>
> HTTP access is the slowest of the 3 access methods, but that's a
> *huge* difference which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Someone
> else suggested directory access controls & if there's a lot or they're
> particularly complex, that may be taking a performance toll as well.
There aren't any access controls really, if you have access to the
repository, you can commit, so valid user is required for access no
other controls.

I tried svn+ssh and it was really fast too.  I may just switch my
developers to that, but conceptually I liked the http access methods..

Troy

Re: Trouble With Show Log

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Trouble With Show Log