Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/11/30 04:32:46 UTC

Release 1.2-beta?

First off I'd like to give everyone a hearty "thank you" to everyone
that has (already) worked on 1.2, so THANK YOU.

Now that we have branched 1.2, I think we should get the code out to
our users as soon as possible, and I think this means releasing an
uncertified 1.2-beta.  This will allow us to work our any remaining
kinks, legal issues and bugs, while the remaining TCK work is being
completed.  With good luck, we should be able to get out a single
beta and incorporate the feedback just as the TCK work is finished.

So to kick things off, I have just published our regular Wednesday
snapshot build here:

    http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/unstable/1.2-r480769/

Please, review this with an eye for a Release vote later this week.
If you see a problem, let us know.  If you don't see any problems,
let us know that also.

When no release stopping problems exist, I'll create proposed final
1.2-beta assemblies and post them to my home directory for voting
(hopefully later this week).

Again, thank you,

-dain

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,
>From what I tested so far I found two bugs, here are the JIRAs

GERONIMO-2612  	 NPE thrown in console when shutting down server
GERONIMO-2613  	 Some portlets in the console can't size correctly

Cheers!
Hernan

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Dec 4, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> So, I'm not sure of anymore work to be done for the Geronimo
> portions of a release.  Oh the Disclaimer. IMO, since we are
> embedding incubating projects, we should add a DISCLAIMER file to
> the root dir of our source tree, a disclaimer file in the root dir
> of our binary distributions, and add disclaimer text to our readme/
> release notes documentation. How do others feel?

+1 sounds like a good idea

-dain

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 4, 2006, at 12:43 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:59 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, I started working my way through the LICENSE and NOTICE
>> files to bring them up to snuff. It's a slow process. I've
>> finished lib and lib/endorsed. Starting on repository, now... Hope
>> to be done today.
>>
>> Since we're embedding incubator projects, I think we should add a
>> Disclaimer file which explains our inclusion of incubator
>> projects. I plan on doing this. Will probably run this by
>> incubator@...
>>
>> We're currently dependent on a number of incubator snapshots
>> (openejb, openjpa, activemq, yoko). Since the incubator release
>> process can be nearly as slow as ours ;-), we should look at ways
>> of prepping their projects for release. I scanned openejb a while
>> back (at David B's suggestion), but haven't looked at the fixes,
>> yet. Yoko has been trying to release an M1 (we're using M2-
>> SNAPSHOT) since early October. I have some minor issues with
>> Yoko's handling of LICENSE files which I hope to get them to
>> address...
>>
>> We have a number of files which contain non-ASF copyright
>> statements (I think I have a list of files in the Jira that I
>> raised). It's not mandatory, but would be nice to get these moved
>> out of the source files and into our NOTICE file. However, this
>> requires action (or consent) by the copyright holder. I think I
>> can probably take care of the IBM copyrights. There are other
>> copyright holders, however. If someone could try to contact the
>> copyright holder(s) that would be great.
>
> I decided to take the end of the week and weekend off from
> releasing to get some actual coding done :)  so I lost track of
> this.  How is it coming?

Coding? Sounds nice...

I just committed some changes to 1.2. I don't know of any more work
to be done for ther server portions of 1.2.

I'm going to update daytrader, when Matt gives the go-ahead. I think
I'm done w/ specs.

So, I'm not sure of anymore work to be done for the Geronimo portions
of a release.  Oh the Disclaimer. IMO, since we are embedding
incubating projects, we should add a DISCLAIMER file to the root dir
of our source tree, a disclaimer file in the root dir of our binary
distributions, and add disclaimer text to our readme/release notes
documentation. How do others feel?

I'm working on updating trunk, now...

--kevan

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:32 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> First off I'd like to give everyone a hearty "thank you" to
> everyone that has (already) worked on 1.2, so THANK YOU.
>
> Now that we have branched 1.2, I think we should get the code out
> to our users as soon as possible, and I think this means releasing
> an uncertified 1.2-beta.  This will allow us to work our any
> remaining kinks, legal issues and bugs, while the remaining TCK
> work is being completed.  With good luck, we should be able to get
> out a single beta and incorporate the feedback just as the TCK work
> is finished.
>
> So to kick things off, I have just published our regular Wednesday
> snapshot build here:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/unstable/1.2-r480769/
>
> Please, review this with an eye for a Release vote later this
> week.  If you see a problem, let us know.  If you don't see any
> problems, let us know that also.
>
> When no release stopping problems exist, I'll create proposed final
> 1.2-beta assemblies and post them to my home directory for voting
> (hopefully later this week).

Dain,
Sounds good.

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I think there are problems with hot deploy (based on GERONIMO-2522
and Rakesh's comments) and the offline deployer.  I'll see if I can
look into these today.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Release 1.2-beta?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I think the beta at this time makes sense.  You indicated the "legal
issues" below.  What is still outstanding as I think they need to be
enumerated for people that will be voting.

On Nov 29, 2006, at 10:32 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> First off I'd like to give everyone a hearty "thank you" to
> everyone that has (already) worked on 1.2, so THANK YOU.
>
> Now that we have branched 1.2, I think we should get the code out
> to our users as soon as possible, and I think this means releasing
> an uncertified 1.2-beta.  This will allow us to work our any
> remaining kinks, legal issues and bugs, while the remaining TCK
> work is being completed.  With good luck, we should be able to get
> out a single beta and incorporate the feedback just as the TCK work
> is finished.
>
> So to kick things off, I have just published our regular Wednesday
> snapshot build here:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/unstable/1.2-r480769/
>
> Please, review this with an eye for a Release vote later this
> week.  If you see a problem, let us know.  If you don't see any
> problems, let us know that also.
>
> When no release stopping problems exist, I'll create proposed final
> 1.2-beta assemblies and post them to my home directory for voting
> (hopefully later this week).
>
> Again, thank you,
>
> -dain

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

When the clouds are full they pour the rain out on the earth;
and whether a tree falls to the north, or it falls to the south,
wherever the tree falls, there is lies.