Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org> on 2023/05/04 17:19:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Hadoop 3.3.6 release planning

Hi community,

I'd like to kick off the discussion around Hadoop 3.3.6 release plan.

I'm being selfish but my intent for 3.3.6 is to have the new APIs in
HADOOP-18671 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-18671> added so
we can have HBase to adopt this new API. Other than that, perhaps
thirdparty dependency updates.

If you have open items to be added in the coming weeks, please add 3.3.6 to
the target release version. Right now I am only seeing three open jiras
targeting 3.3.6.

I imagine this is going to be a small release as 3.3.5 (hat tip to Steve)
was only made two months back, and so far only 8 jiras were resolved in the
branch-3.3 line.

Best,
Weichiu

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop 3.3.6 release planning

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot for the help to move this release forward.

Some status update:

branch-3.3.6 just forked out of branch-3.3.
Starting a RC0 now.

I would like to add the text to highlight big features and improvements.
Let me know if you have something that's included in this release and would
also like to highlight. @Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> I am aware the
S3A prefetch code is in this release, but I am not sure if it is in a state
where we can make it public. I'll let you decide.

SBOM artifacts
Starting from this release, Hadoop publishes Software Bill of Materials
(SBOM) using
CycloneDX Maven plugin. For more information about SBOM, please go to
[SBOM](https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/SBOM).

HDFS RBF: RDBMS based token storage support
HDFS Router-Router Based Federation now supports storing delegation tokens
on MySQL,
[HADOOP-18535](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-18535)
which improves token operation through over the original Zookeeper-based
implementation.

New File System APIs
[HADOOP-18671](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-18671) moved a
number of
HDFS-specific APIs to Hadoop Common to make it possible for certain
applications that
depend on HDFS semantics to run on other Hadoop compatible file systems.

In particular, recoverLease() and isFileClosed() are exposed through
LeaseRecoverable
interface. While setSafeMode() is exposed through SafeMode interface.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.